Real or Fake Vintage Patek Philippe??? - Page 7
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Real or Fake Vintage Patek Philippe???

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Re: Real or Fake Vintage Patek Philippe???

Awesome conclusion and I believe this is the second time since I joined the forum here that a Patek has turned out to be real. I believe the other one was also stainless.
    Apollonaught likes this.
    --Charlie

-Citizen -Seiko -Heuer -Steinhart -Bulova -TagHeuer

Quote Originally Posted by oinkitt View Post
    I will probably get banned for this...

The conjecture re this watch is laughable.

Any person who knows about 60s steel Patek's will know exactly what it is.

If the watch didn't belong to the OP's grandfather I would have sent a serious offer and wouldn't ask for further pictures....

I love eBay listings with photos like this!!!!
    If you bought a watch like this on ebay, you'd be gambling. An educated gamble, to be sure, but still a gamble. That's important for people who aren't you to understand. Roland Ranfft (whose knowledge of watches exceeds that of most members by several orders of magnitude) has an entire section of his webpage devoted to the sometimes expensive mistakes HE has made. Many of the people who visit these forums aren't really serious collectors, they're just people who enjoy looking at and reading about watches.

From a forum perspective, I don't think you've been particularly helpful. Saying "oh yeah, that's real" based on your "gut" feeling, and without being able to point to specific elements of the watch posted is fairly pointless. The main concern with this thread originally was simply that there was very little good evidence (at least until the movement image was added). Everything that would lead you to believe that it might be real could very easily be faked by an enterprising machinist with access to replacement Patek crowns. If you don't agree with me, then please feel free to respond with an explanation as to what it was you saw that skewed your opinion so strongly, because I'd love to add to my knowledge (as would, I suspect, many other members).
    Giotime, Mirius and Wibbs like this.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Banned
    According to Accutronitis and his BFF I live in Berkshire, but really I live in Derbyshire

Having "an eye" for things is something that can't really be taught I believe. Only experience and a deep knowledge of your subject will work.

So I'm told, anyway...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    If you bought a watch like this on ebay, you'd be gambling. An educated gamble, to be sure, but still a gamble. That's important for people who aren't you to understand. Roland Ranfft (whose knowledge of watches exceeds that of most members by several orders of magnitude) has an entire section of his webpage devoted to the sometimes expensive mistakes HE has made. Many of the people who visit these forums aren't really serious collectors, they're just people who enjoy looking at and reading about watches.

From a forum perspective, I don't think you've been particularly helpful. Saying "oh yeah, that's real" based on your "gut" feeling, and without being able to point to specific elements of the watch posted is fairly pointless. The main concern with this thread originally was simply that there was very little good evidence (at least until the movement image was added). Everything that would lead you to believe that it might be real could very easily be faked by an enterprising machinist with access to replacement Patek crowns. If you don't agree with me, then please feel free to respond with an explanation as to what it was you saw that skewed your opinion so strongly, because I'd love to add to my knowledge (as would, I suspect, many other members).
    you're being far more generous than my now deleted response to this fellow was.

there's so much smoke being blown in this thread, i'm having a hard time breathing. i've seen damn near everything faked that was worth faking, as have most collectors. there could have been anything inside that case, from an ETA to a quartz to a chunk of duct tape- all of which i've actually seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Addictedtowatches View Post
    Awesome conclusion and I believe this is the second time since I joined the forum here that a Patek has turned out to be real. I believe the other one was also stainless.

Thanks! Very proud of this and excited to move forward with service with Patek. Sounds like it will take a while, but will be well worth it. I plan to pass this down to my son, with some type of documentation that it's legit (so he doesn't stir up such a conversation as my post has on a similar forum!).

Thanks again for your help and advice, I truly appreciate it.
    Wibbs likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ColdNY View Post
    Thanks! Very proud of this and excited to move forward with service with Patek. Sounds like it will take a while, but will be well worth it. I plan to pass this down to my son, with some type of documentation that it's legit (so he doesn't stir up such a conversation as my post has on a similar forum!).

Thanks again for your help and advice, I truly appreciate it.
    As Patek Philippe states "you never own a Patek Philippe you are just looking after it for the next generation"

I am glad it is genuine - sorry my poor opinion'

adam
    Last edited by HOROLOGIST007; February 27th, 2015 at 22:45.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post

First, I haven't posted much nor do I write long posts as I find this forum hard to use.

Everything in life is an educated guess at best.... after all, we could all be in a video game!!!

I understand what you are saying re less experienced buyers... and agree in general.

In any activity... I access the risks and act or in this case bid accordingly. The less I am sure of the less I bid.

I have been collecting all types of what I call, "dead peoples stuff" since I was a child and ive been collecting watches since 1984. The are others that know way more than me but I can hold my own.

With regards the 3417..... I knew as soon as I saw the first picture. The 3417 was the first Patek I ever bought and I know it well. I have found I have a very good eye for a good thing. The fakers are getting better but they rarely get everything right.

I do what some might consider highly risky deals... but I say fortune favours the knowledgeable and brave. It has worked well for me over the years. Having said that, I rarely buy or are interested in the highly faked brands... Rolex... Blancpain... etc

Says the guy who bought this yesterday...

Quote Originally Posted by oinkitt View Post

Says the guy who bought this yesterday...

WELL, at $48,000 you can not go wrong. Nice piece and with provenance!
    Lot 369
    AN 18CT GOLD ROLEX PERPETUAL TRIPLE CALENDAR MOONPHASE WRIST WATCH; Ref. 8171, automatic, applied baton markers, outer date markers, day and month windows and moon phase on a 9ct gold President bracelet hallmarked Birmingham 1965. Pitted dial, missing crown, not working. Diam. 38mm. C - 1950/s.
    Estimate $5,000-7,000
    Sold for $48,000

Fine Decorative Arts + Jewellery + Fine Art - Sale 8057 - Lot 369 - Lawsons - Auctioneers, Sydney and Melbourne

"
    fortune favours the knowledgeable and brave.
    LOL HaHaHa

Having said that, I rarely buy or are interested in the highly faked brands... Rolex... Blancpain... etc
    What like Patek?

Apart from that Rolex, please post some of your purchases, no need to wait "to be banned or May".

'time is of the essense'
    Last edited by HOROLOGIST007; February 27th, 2015 at 23:28.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by HOROLOGIST007 View Post
    WELL, at $48,000 you can not go wrong. Nice piece and with provenance!
    Lot 369
    AN 18CT GOLD ROLEX PERPETUAL TRIPLE CALENDAR MOONPHASE WRIST WATCH; Ref. 8171, automatic, applied baton markers, outer date markers, day and month windows and moon phase on a 9ct gold President bracelet hallmarked Birmingham 1965. Pitted dial, missing crown, not working. Diam. 38mm. C - 1950/s.
    Estimate $5,000-7,000
    Sold for $48,000

Fine Decorative Arts + Jewellery + Fine Art - Sale 8057 - Lot 369 - Lawsons - Auctioneers, Sydney and Melbourne

"
    LOL HaHaHa

What like Patek?

Apart from that Rolex, please post some of your purchases, no need to wait "to be banned or May".

'time is of the essense'
    You forgot to add the 25% plus GST...

I find this site to be very frustrating and not user friendly. I have taken to writing the post in word then copy and pasting to the site.... even that has its problems!!!
    Last edited by Ben_hutcherson; February 28th, 2015 at 01:09. Reason: Inapropriate language

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by bobbee View Post
    Having "an eye" for things is something that can't really be taught I believe. Only experience and a deep knowledge of your subject will work.

So I'm told, anyway...
    I suspect there might be some truth in that statement.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information