The 'REAL' Index Mobile
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: The 'REAL' Index Mobile

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

The 'REAL' Index Mobile

First apologies for confusion over on WRUW thread. I have so many pictures of Index Mobile prior to buying this one - I 'screwed' up - Sorry

This watch came from the estate of George Dubey - It was owned by the person he left it too - The (at that time) present owner of Dubey and Schaldenbrand. She and George Dubey were lifelong friends.

It is a 1946/50 Champagne Face - Index Mobile made by George Dubey

The movement is a Landeron, with screw balance wheel
    Split-Second Chronographs of the 1940s and 1950s
    Before one examines the Index Mobile chronographs produced by Dubey & Schaldenbrand, it is worthwhile to describe -- briefly -- the operation of split-second chronographs and the state of the art, as it stood in the 1940's, before the development of the Index Mobile.
    A split-second chronograph employs two chronograph second hands, which run together for a while, with the upper hand appearing to be superimposed on the lower hand. When the user wants to check an interval time, he presses a button, and that's when the magic happens -- one of the second hands stops (to mark the interval time) and the other hand continues to run. After a reading or interval measurement has been made, the user presses the button again, and the hand that had been stopped catches up with the hand that has been running continuously, and once again, they appear to be running together, as a single hand. [This "catching up" is where we get the term, "Rattrapante", from the French word, "rattrape", meaning "to catch up.] Such split-second chronographs are also called "double chronographs", or "Fly-Back Hand"
    Split-second chronographs are very complicated, with a separate castle wheel and numerous other parts being required for the amazing task of stopping one second hand (while another continues) and then having the stopped second hand catch up and continue on, with the primary second hand. In addition to the additional castle wheel and additional second hand, the movement of a traditional split-second chronograph will include a split-second brake (which looks like pincers), a split-second wheel, a heart-shaped reset piece, and various additional springs and cams.
    The Index Mobile -- 'The' Rattrapante
    Seeing the usefulness of split second chronographs, but the issues associated with existing designs, George Dubey set out to develop a split-second chronograph that would be simpler in design and less expensive in production. Beginning with a standard Landeron or Venus movement, George Dubey created a split-second chronograph by adding an additional chronograph second hand, and connecting the two second hands with a hairspring, with the hairspring fully visible between the dial and the crystal. When the chronograph is started, both the second hands move together. The user stops the split-second (or index) hand by pushing the button in the center of the crown, which applies a brake to the wheel turning the hand. When this button is released, this second hand (which had been stopped) "catches up" with the other second hand, which has continued running throughout the period being timed.
    The Index Mobile was thought of as a simple, elegant solution, to a complex horological problem -- it allowed an inexpensive Landeron or Venus movement to be modified for split-second timing. The "Index Mobile" system was a clever approach for the production of a split second chronograph. By adding a few parts, common movements were able to deliver economical, reliable split-second timing.
    Acknowledgements: Mme Cinette Robert, Jeff Stein

Pictures - taken to day:

The Movement - Notice NO shock protection:

Here you can see the 'RATTRAPANTE' - Splits Second Hand.

Acknowledgements
    Jeff Stein
    Mme Cinette Robert

APOLOGIES to ALL

Adam
    Last edited by HOROLOGIST007; June 20th, 2013 at 18:50.
    radger and JP71624 like this.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Re: The 'REAL' Index Mobile

I am amazed this 1950 watch has a transparent caseback. It has to be one of the first

It is a great looking piece. And the explanation is very useful... I learned what RATTRAPANTE means
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

I also asked about the transparent back.
    Mme Robert insisted that is how it came from George Dubey.
    Remember he made it, so not so difficult for him for his own collection to put a 'Acrylic bezel' front and back.

You can see my movement has NO shock protection and less jewels

I think Mme Robert had 2 or 3 such pieces.
    she sold me one as a friend

Thanks
    adam
    Last edited by HOROLOGIST007; June 20th, 2013 at 18:42.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    Adam

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

great piece with impeccable provenance, thank you for sharing, Adam !

Stunning watch.

Someone has put the patent on Photobucket: Brevet Index Mobile 3 Photo by corsaire75 | Photobucket
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Excellent post Adam, thank you for showing us your very interesting watch.

I'll bet watchmakers gulp when they see a hairspring fitted to the split chrono secs hand.

I'm glad the confusion is cleared up, it wasn't the fact that the other watch had a display back that
    caused my confusion, it was fitted with flat sapphire crystals whereas a watch of this age would have
    Acrylics which your watch surely has.

Gorgeous watch. I don't recognize that import code; who did their importing into the U.S.?
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Quote Originally Posted by Marrick View Post
    Stunning watch.

Someone has put the patent on Photobucket: Brevet Index Mobile 3 Photo by corsaire75 | Photobucket
    Mme Robert gave me a copy of The american Patent as George Dubey had i.e The ORIGINAL!

and
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by radger View Post
    Excellent post Adam, thank you for showing us your very interesting watch.

I'll bet watchmakers gulp when they see a hairspring fitted to the split chrono secs hand.

I'm glad the confusion is cleared up, it wasn't the fact that the other watch had a display back that
    caused my confusion, it was fitted with flat sapphire crystals whereas a watch of this age would have
    Acrylics which your watch surely has.
    Thanks, really I apologize once again. Good point on Acrylic crystal.

Everyone, but everyone are 'gob-smacked when they see the hands split -->then catch up!
    A
    Last edited by HOROLOGIST007; June 20th, 2013 at 18:39.

and
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    Gorgeous watch. I don't recognize that import code; who did their importing into the U.S.?
    No, I have looked and not found it. I must ask Mme Robert.

Will ask and let you know

and
    Adam

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information