Real or snookered Rolex?

Thread: Real or snookered Rolex?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Real or snookered Rolex?

This was worn by my father for state occaisons...and thought for years I would have a real Rolex in my life....but....

* there is no serial number or any kind of stamping on the back of the case

* The bracket has "Hong Kong" stamped on it.

* The second hand broke off during the move

* The case DOES have a Rolex model number tag attached to an apparently unused leather band:
    s/ 412931
    B.O.N. 20915
    18 kt.

Thoughts? Era of acquistion would have been early 50s - post-war Germany most likely.

Thanks!

Don
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Real or snookered Rolex?

Looks real to me and in very fine shape. I don't know what the abbreviations mean other than "18K", which means the watch is 18 karat gold. Lucky you!

The model number and serial numbers can be found engraved at the top and bottom of the case, underneath the watchband at "12" and "6". Your watch looks a lot like this one:

Fixing the seconds hand should be a very easy fix for a watchmaker.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

I would think the Rolex forum would supply more authoritative answers.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hmmm... the S/N IS right where you said it was, below the "6". Thanks. would have never seen it.

OK, off to bug the Rolex folks.

Thx!

Don

Dear,

looks genuine to me!
    very very nice.

regards,
    RJ van melle.

You might want to take a look at this link for more information on the serial number:

http://www.oysterworld.de/dates.htm

My guess that that your father's watch dates from the late 1940's.

Rolex didn't necessarily sequentially number the cases. As a result, there may be a signficant difference (up to 2-3 years) between the date on these internet charts and real production dates. So 1950 might very well be correct.

BTW, what was engraved between the lugs at 12 o'clock? The picture I stole above was a model 3131.

Take care,
    gatorcpa

Quote Originally Posted by gatorcpa View Post
    You might want to take a look at this link for more information on the serial number:

http://www.oysterworld.de/dates.htm

My guess that that your father's watch dates from the late 1940's.

Rolex didn't necessarily sequentially number the cases. As a result, there may be a signficant difference (up to 2-3 years) between the date on these internet charts and real production dates. So 1950 might very well be correct.

BTW, what was engraved between the lugs at 12 o'clock? The picture I stole above was a model 3131.

Take care,
    gatorcpa
    I don't see anything between the 12 o'clock lugs. The band may be keeping me from seeing anything.

the envelope that has notes from the previous repair guy -- which info has proven correct so far, indicates the model as #730. There is also another number indicated: N20915, though the purpose of that number is not indicaed. That could be some type of order number the watch guy was using.

The envelope also notes:Size N-A 0226

So, I will see what another recommended shop says and will report back.

Lots of fun, all. Thanks so much for your interest!

Don

To me, it looks like a redial. It looks way too clean and white to be from the 50s, it looks like there is no age at all! Maybe I'm wrong, but you should get Rolex to take a look at it.

My Collection --> Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle L View Post
    To me, it looks like a redial. It looks way too clean and white to be from the 50s, it looks like there is no age at all! Maybe I'm wrong, but you should get Rolex to take a look at it.
    Well, this was not a daily-wearer by my father. And with the packaging and all, I would assume that he wore it, wrapped it up, placed it in a drawer, got it out...

So, very little UV exposure. I dunno. How does one "get it to Rolex"? Is there an authorized service center in the States?

Im going the independent tech route first... this guy works on my boss' Rolex.. I think HE has a GMT, but won't swear to it. Then we will see what the assessment is.

Quote Originally Posted by Don_Wallbaum View Post
    Well, this was not a daily-wearer by my father. And with the packaging and all, I would assume that he wore it, wrapped it up, placed it in a drawer, got it out...

So, very little UV exposure. I dunno. How does one "get it to Rolex"? Is there an authorized service center in the States?

Im going the independent tech route first... this guy works on my boss' Rolex.. I think HE has a GMT, but won't swear to it. Then we will see what the assessment is.
    Most of these old Rolexes that I have seen have some patina or age, and for 50 years old it looks really clean. Even if it was placed in a drawer, patina and age on the dial can still occur. Do you know if it has ever been serviced in the past? Even in the past, they did redials. But nonetheless, you have a very beautiful watch, congrats.

My Collection --> Click Here

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information