Recently bought a few Vintage pocket watches, Would like some help on info about them.

Thread: Recently bought a few Vintage pocket watches, Would like some help on info about them.

Recently bought a few Vintage pocket watches, Would like some help on info about them.

I've always loved old pocket watches because of the history behind them, Yet I could never find any locally, until recently. I now have two in my very small collection and this one I've posted today is the new one. I don't know much about it nor have I been able to find much information on it. I am far from being a watch expert. What I do know is that it is a Swiss bar style movement (I believe it is called) and it is mid to late 1800s. I hope some of the pictures can help any of you more experienced watch collectors find the information I would like to know. It's value isn't important to me, the history of it is. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Also included in the pictures are a few pics of my elgin's movement and inside rear cover. I don't have any of the dail. I can take one if anyone is interested.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Recently bought a few Vintage pocket watches, Would like some help on info about them.

Welcome to Watchuseek. The Elgin is a 16 size, 7 jewel movement watch from 1914 (see Elgin Watches Serial Numbers | Elgin National Watch Company Serial Number, Elgin pocket watch for details). As for the other, it is indeed a late 19th century Lepine V style movement in one of the better grades (for a start, it is a lever movement). It will be very difficult to find out more about that one since the movements were often made by many different people in the cottage industry and there seems to be no indication as to the final assembler either. If anything, the case hallmarks would probably give you further clues but other than the indication that it's silver, I see nothing there.....

Hartmut Richter

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

UPDATE: I have found some interesting engravings on the inside of the back. Can't make out what they mean. I've also included a better photo of the dail and hands.

Re: Recently bought a few Vintage pocket watches, Would like some help on info about them.

Service marks, probably. Left there by a watchmaker, when the watch got a COA (cleaning, oiling, adjustment) or repairs of some sort. Rarely can these marks be decoded. Sometimes it's a date, sometimes a date and type of repair, but usually it's something impossible to figure out.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Thread Information