Recomendations to help rescue a worthy Favre freres Alarm please.
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By RTB
  • 1 Post By Hartmut Richter
  • 1 Post By James A

Thread: Recomendations to help rescue a worthy Favre freres Alarm please.

RTB

Recomendations to help rescue a worthy Favre freres Alarm please.

Have this dirty girl :) that needs help, full nickel case & bell. I'm looking for a gifted case restorer that you've had good work from in the past. The cases back cover has been bent slightly backwards creasing the hinge area & there's some smaller dints on the cover too. It would help if they were in Australia but willing to sent OS if needed to get the right person ;)

Also need a gifted & hopefully experienced PW alarm movement restorer, this one has a broken balance staff. I would like someone close by(Queensland, Australia) but all input welcome. I have quite a few Alarm pocket watches to get serviced & other minor work done on their movements too while they're in my care ;)
    The bays gone quite, so now's the time to re-direct the $$$$ to the rescue projects. I have my fingers crossed someone can help here ;)

Thanks for looking.
    Attached Images Attached Images

RTB

Re: Recomendations to help rescue a worthy Favre freres Alarm please.

Some with a little cleaning :)
    Attached Images Attached Images

busmatt likes this.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

That looks nice but the broken balance staff will be costly, possibly making repair not worth while (at least in pure monetary terms). Am I short sighted or is it missing the resonating bell spring around the movement too?

Hartmut Richter
    RTB likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi RTB,
    Pm me and I can send you info about a guy here in Melbourne who might be able to help.

Regards,
    RTB likes this.

RTB

Thank-you for your interest etc. gentlemen, please excuse the late reply I have a lap-top battery failure that has turned it into a chastity belt for all my photos & information :( until the new battery arrives. ...Borrowing one to answer you ;)

Money wise, it's not why I collect these older pocket alarms, I have less than $50 Aussie into it, so putting it back to working is OK to me ;)
    I've found a lot of info on this one, they made 6, 10 & 15 jewel models in differing cases, most I've seen are 6 jewel gunmetals ;)

The movement in this looks untouched & is pretty special I think, purple & blue headed screws, Main spring can be removed as a pod complete by two screws to replace spring (possibly Wilhelm Voland Brevet 12660 = 1896), it has a quick release push button system for the lift set crown & winding stem to be removed (Jules Favre patent 7900 = 1894/08/31), just to the left of the stem on the back movement plate, also has a separate alarm spring(most use one for both operations).
    All in all a very well made movement in a nice case. & is the nicest movement in my small alarm PW collection so far ;)
    It also uses the inner cover as a bell much like my other early SFC alarms. The watch is complete & the screws on the inner cover/bell were also looking untouched when I removed it.

Just before my lap-top crashed I found a write up on another in gunmetal, I've just gone looking again & this has more details & interesting/helpfull information from another Melb. aussie, I hope it's OK to link to this balance shaft fix project here............seems the balance shaft is a common flaw too.

Thanks for looking ;)

Global Horology • View topic - Another Alarm watch

Thread Information