recommendations
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: recommendations

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

recommendations

Hi all,

I'm new to the vintage watch scene although have been an admirer for a while. I'm looking to make my first purchase and have about US$ 500 to spend (although having read this forum I want to put aside some of this for a service / repair etc).

I'm after some advice on what this will by me. I have had a look at a few Omega Seamasters (from 1930 - 1960) and like the look of them. I also have seen a few Longines Ultra Chrono on this forum that are very attractive.

Colour wise I will be looking for either brown strap with gold or black strap with stainless. Obviously I am aware that strap can be changed fairly easily but would prefer to have it complete on purchase rather than paying for a strap I don't want/need.

I don't mind if the dial has been refreshed as long (saw some nice examples in this forum) as it is true to the original and I also don't mind paying a bit over the odds as long as it is a nice peice from a reputable source.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Tim

Apart from that I am a complete noob.

Re: recommendations

You will get more bang for your buck with vintage Longines. EBay has over 700 of them for sale right now.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

If you want a "name brand" watch, Longines is a good choice. Omega is a mine field for noobs; if you really want one, you're best to find a local watchmaker and see if s/he can find you one. Indeed, establishing a relationship with a good watchmaker is a good first step in many respects. I find 50s/60s Bulova mechanicals to be a great bargain, as they were extremely well finished but tend to be ignored by collectors (who focus on the Accutrons).
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'm sure if you spend time going through this forum, you'll see suggestions and recommendations of countries and regions to avoid on your typical online auctions.
    The main thing is to go through threads to see what you like.
    The "what are you wearing" ones are great as they might introduce you to models and makers you were unaware of...of course that can be a dangerous thing! ;)

And then after you choose a few brands/styles you like, i.e. - Seamaster and Ultra Chron, investigate and learn as much as you can about them. The more you know, the less you'll be taken and the better chance you can find something you'll truly appreciate in the long run. Remember, it might take time but patience is almost always rewarded.
    I've got more Converse sneakers than watches, but it is a close race.

Thanks for all the replies.

Can I get opinions on this watch and the seller

Mens OMEGA Seamaster SS Automatic ROUND Cal.565 | eBay

I do like the colour but assume this isn't likely to be original.

why dont you try the sales corner on this site, you will find private forum members selling watches. also they are a few ebay sellers that can be trusted just go to the omega forum and do a search. Use to have links be deleted them when I bought a speedy.

Quote Originally Posted by tim_iphonedev View Post
    Thanks for all the replies.

Can I get opinions on this watch and the seller

Mens OMEGA Seamaster SS Automatic ROUND Cal.565 | eBay

I do like the colour but assume this isn't likely to be original.
    It's not an assumption he plainly says that the dial is refinished. I have done business with the seller he's honest and upfront look at the quality of the pictures. The main question is will you be happy with a refinished dial? You have to answer that. Here's a picture of the watch I bought
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sorry I wasn't particularly clear in what I meant. Perhaps I do not understand what refinished means. I am happy to have a refinished dial (or at least what I thought that meant) as long as it is true to the original watch.

If I liken it to a vintage car, I am happy for the body to be resprayed and bumpers re-chromed but I don't want a plastic body kit put on it.

What I meant in this case was would the original watch have come out with a blue dial?

Hi Guys,

Was hoping someone could check out this watch for me and tell me if my assumptions are correct, I think perhaps I am wrong and it is more genuine than I am assuming.

Vintage BAUME & MERCIER Chronograph Landeron Caliber 51 ~NOS Blk/Rose Dial~NoRes | eBay

- Does the movement not being stamped mean it is likely to have come from a different watch, will most movements be stamped with the watch maker? The movement looks to be as they say it is (Landeron 51), how do I find out if these watches came with this movement?

- It seems odd to me that the only item that is signed is the dial (which is NOS anyway). My interpretation is that this means the crown is likely to have been replaced (not too much of an issue for me) but also sheds doubt on the movement being from a B&M and I am not even sure about the case being B&M although this is at odds with the sellers statement that the watch was cased and time in Switzerland by B&M.

Tim,

As our learned fellow correspondents have pointed out, the "big name brands" can be a bit of a minefield, especially Omega and of course Rolex: my sister and brother-in-law have been collecting watches for longer than me, and despite diligent research they still bought a dud Rolex with non-original rotor bearing, and generally messed up, which took a former Rolex tech of seven years' experience to fix it. For me, I focus on Russian brands and models which are very much under the radar, so to speak. Seeing the blue dial Omega you showed us, here's my totally original Poljot 2609 in steel case, Sekonda UK release from the early 1970s. Sure the nickel plating on the hands is a touch tarnished, but I won't complain as I paid a little more than $30 including shipping:

Name:  RIMG0004.JPG
Views: 140
Size:  84.7 KB

Talking in very general terms, a novice vintage collector's worst enemy is the urge to acquire quickly: you can never have too much knowledge. Regarding that Baume & Mercier, I feel it's been over-restored and my gut feeling gave the alarm bell a bit of a gentle whack, but I will let our fellow correspondents to have a chance to verify it.
    Marrick and Mirius like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information