Recommending a vintage watch for me!

Thread: Recommending a vintage watch for me!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Recommending a vintage watch for me!

Hello just wondering if anybody could recommend a vintage watch for me to a fair price. It must be shockproof, and resistant for water.

Thanks in advance Nome93

Re: Recommending a vintage watch for me!

your best bet will be getting a vintage diver , there are plenty of choices out there!

but do remember its best to get it checked for water resistance first

um....water resistant? Shockproof?

I recommend a new watch. Seriously. If you are expecting a vintage watch to behave like one off the shelf under hard use, you are bound to be disappointed -- especially the water resistant part. .
    Last edited by LouS; June 2nd, 2010 at 18:51.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Is not that important have a water resistant watch. I usually hand my watches with care! But I got you point!

In that case, let's have more criteria, otherwise the field is way too vast!
    Sport watch or dress?
    What functions do you want? Date? Day? Chronograph? GMT?
    Tell us more!

More like thin watches is what I like not day or chrono just clean analog. I want mechanical wind or self wind. I want to have a swiss made one.

Still leaves a ton of choice. Virtually every brand had something in this line. Maybe you could start off by browsing (but not buying from, at least until you have educated your eye a bit) Ebay using search term "vintage chronometer." This will typically bring out each company's top quality time keeping devices, which were usually elegant, simple and slim (if you exclude Rolex sport watches) with the sole purpose of precision. Watches that were (and are) designated chronometers had to meet specific standards of precision.

I would just do a search restricted to age say, 1940 to 1969, post pictures of the watches you like, and what's important to you. gold case, stainless, size etc. We can then direct you to brands that meet your needs within you budget.

Okay

Unfortunately, not all sellers will put down the date. Searching for "vinatge watch" will get you a 1000 hits. Another option is "NOS" watch, which means New Old Stock. You might get a 50 hits, but you are dealing with an old watch that was never in circulation. My only question, being one who loves Elgins...why only Swiss? Lord Elgins, Hamiltons, and Walthams are all great vintage American made watches (there were some made by Swiss, but they are considered less desireable than the US watches.) In their prime, Lord Elgins were considered superior to Swiss watches. You do a search on Lord Elgin and you will get a 100 hits, and many of them are in working order and a few have even been serviced! And my final comment...Mido. Gosh, I love my Mido Chronometer. It is Swiss made. I keep it on an automatic winder and wear it only once a week and I rarely reset the time. It is amazingly accurate. Zenith also makes a great watch.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information