Are redials okay?
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Are redials okay?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Confused Are redials okay?

Hey guys!
    this is my first post and I am new here.I started looking at watches on eBay and specially omegas, and now I have a question, are redials okay if they are done very well and not apparent? Do they diminish the value of the watch?
    Shum likes this.

Re: Are redials okay?

The value for a collector will diminish with a redial but many new to vintage look at a nice shiny dial and pay big money for it. Over time one gets to appreciate patina and even damage as it give a watch that special feel.

And remember if you buy a redial we old guys will point and laugh at you.

Hi,

It's personal, for some it's ok for others not
    It decreases value for die hard collectors
    Shum and kazrich like this.
    Chaos is my focus

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Yes it personal and I believe it's OK if a dial is so bad it just can't be worn, the problem is that many redials just aren't like the original so it's almost like buying a fake.

It so bad that there are more vintage black dialed watches being sold now then ever were made...
    Last edited by Shum; March 1st, 2017 at 14:35.

Quote Originally Posted by vinayj009 View Post
    Hey guys!
    this is my first post and I am new here.I started looking at watches on eBay and specially omegas, and now I have a question, are redials okay if they are done very well and not apparent? Do they diminish the value of the watch?
    Generally speaking a redial diminishes the value of the watch. The exception to this would be a situation where the original dial is so badly damaged that it is essentially un-wearable.

The rest of your question is purely a matter of taste.
    zecevic, kazrich and Shum like this.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

The vast majority of redials I have seen over the past couple of decades are not OK with me. They range from poor to average. The ones that would pass muster are few and far between. It's a matter of experience - the more you see of original dials the more obvious the bulk of redials are. To someone new to vintage watches a redial can seem OK as they don't have much reference to compare against.

The issue for me is that all too often they simply diminish the look of the watch. The redials don't display the qualities of the original dials and let down the rest of the watch. The printing styles are all too often wrong, too thick, not neat enough, the wrong colours or finishes. This isn't what the dial looked like originally, and it's a poor substitute.

If the majority of redials were in fact well done and appropriate for the watch my opinion would probably be different, but they most definitely aren't. With increasing use of computerised copying and printing we may well get to the point where the majority of redials, or completely new manufactured dials, are of sufficient quality to satisfy but we're not there yet. Even so, for collectors there will always remain the issue of originality that will affect our views in varying ways.
    Last edited by Gumby992; March 1st, 2017 at 16:01.

Thank you very much guys. That was very helpful. I do understand that, specially coming from India where they end up doing a sloppy job and lack the attention to detail. That is one reason I am so hard pressed to find a good place to service my watches.
    I think I'm going to buy a redial only if I really like the job done but otherwise I'm going to stay away from them, specially those badly painted black coloured redials
    Shum likes this.

Depends... If you have a watch with a badly damaged dial, it's OK to redial it, IMO- but only if it's really badly damaged. The collectible value will be down to pretty much a zero, though.

Regarding buying redials- there is only one instance that I know of, where a redial is actually collectible, and that would be the Omega 6B/542 service watch of the RAF, with MoD-commissioned redials in order to have the radium lume replaced with tritium.
    DragonDan and Shum like this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

If you buy one cheap, why not! You can probably sell it on at a similar price later. But if you pay original dial money for it, of course, that's a bad investment. So if you get it a fair price and plan to wear it and enjoy it for what it is, go for it.
    Shum and Molliedooker like this.

it depends on if you just want to wear and enjoy it (then by all means proceed), or you are buying it for an investment. As with anything collectible, the closer an item comes to as it was when it left the factory, the better. That's why some people are exuberant with finding a piece with the original box(es) and paperwork
    Shum and Molliedooker like this.
    Pink Floyd. Dark side of the moon. Side one, track four.
    Gallet Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalletChronographs/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information