Refurbish Vintage Breilting Datora (Valjoux 7734)
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Refurbish Vintage Breilting Datora (Valjoux 7734)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Refurbish Vintage Breilting Datora (Valjoux 7734)

I've recently aquired a vintage Breilting (it's a sport chronograph from the 70s, with a Valjoux 7734 movement). It's nothing special about the watch, just that I love the model and I always something like this.

From a mechanical point of view the watch works more than fine (it loses a few seconds a day, the chronograph resets to zero, etc.) but from an aesthetical point of view it's a small mess. The case desperatly needs a chrome plating and the dial a little repainting.

I was wondering if you know a nice service where I can refurbish a little the watch ? And if yes, what are the costs ?

I've attached some pictures with the watch for you, to better understand its current condition:

Name:  cI7uxjZ.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  793.9 KB

Name:  Cjm5aoc.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  560.0 KB

So do you think this watch can become beautiful again ?

Re: Refurbish Vintage Breilting Datora (Valjoux 7734)

It's a good idea to refurbish the case, even the original finish can be matched afterwards, for example Replateit.com - Watch Case Restoration it doesn't cost much at all and its really worth it at this stadium of wear...

S
    sharedmemory likes this.

Thanks for your answer Saxoo ? I have a question, do you know what type of plating is more resistant to corrosion ? Somebody recommended me to do a chrome-nickel plating if possible. But the site you game me only offers nickel and rhodium plating which are decorative. Does those plantings wear off in time ?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Nice watch. All plating will wear off in time regardless of what type it is , some will of course be more durable than others. I suggest that you have it replated and wear it. Then buy more watches so that the Breitling spends less time on the wrist thereby reducing wear. Could last forever.
    busmatt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sharedmemory View Post
    Thanks for your answer Saxoo ? I have a question, do you know what type of plating is more resistant to corrosion ? Somebody recommended me to do a chrome-nickel plating if possible. But the site you game me only offers nickel and rhodium plating which are decorative. Does those plantings wear off in time ?
    The standard chrome plating means that you get first a layer of nickel and then chrome, actually that should be the most durable and skin friendly method. Regarding other materials, I cant be of much help but I can say you that a good workshop is crucial for durability(good preparation).....I guess with nickel they mean the nickel-crome variant, rhodium should be also fine but I never applied it on watches altough I guess thats more a question of taste then durability if its done in a professional manner, I would describe the difference as warm to cold tonalities of silver colour.
    Fortunately this rounded casetype with just few sharp edges will look very nice and new after replating, it would be more difficult to replate more edgier casetypes so they don't look like overpolished pieces afterwards.

S
    Last edited by saxoo; September 1st, 2015 at 14:31.

replateit does excellent work.
    PLEASE leave that dial alone; no it can't get "a little repainting", it can only be re-printed - and you'll end up with a worthless watch.

Quote Originally Posted by WatchFred View Post
    PLEASE leave that dial alone; no it can't get "a little repainting", it can only be re-printed - and you'll end up with a worthless watch.
    +1

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk
    Scientia potentia est

Yes thanks for the info guys, a watchmaker already told me to leave the dial alone as it looks decent, and any attempt to repaint it will probably ruin it. As for the case I was guaranteed that it will look very nice as it is not a difficult job, and it's actually much cheaper than I've expected.

I also contacted (out of curiosity) the official Breitling service to make a price estimate, but I suspect it will be a small fortune.

Thanks again for the info.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

. . . . The case desperatly needs a chrome plating and the dial a little repainting. . . . .
    I loathe chrome on a watch.

You may wish to review the "success stories" of other with regard to the dial reprinting of chronographs before proceeding down that path.

. . . . So do you think this watch can become beautiful again ?
    Your statement implies that it was once beautiful.

Considering the aesthetics of this particular case I'm not for sure that that is a universally held position.

With enough sanding the pits and scars can be removed and if polished with a high degree of competency a smooth finish can be rendered in preparation for plating. The profile/contrours of the case will however be permanently altered. You may or may not be able to detect these changes to the shape of your case but a professional or trained eye will be able do so upon close or perhaps not so close inspection.

Quote Originally Posted by pithy View Post

Your statement implies that it was once beautiful.

Considering the aesthetics of this particular case I'm not for sure that that is a universally held position.
    I wouldn't be so bitter. In the 70s this case design was very popular, and chrome plating was not uncommon.
    I really like how the model looks, it's not rare or something, it's a mediocre sport chronograph that I like.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information