Regina Watch Co. private label for H.R.Knowlton Atens, Ontario.
Like Tree7Likes
  • 5 Post By pmwas
  • 1 Post By mkws
  • 1 Post By pmwas

Thread: Regina Watch Co. private label for H.R.Knowlton Atens, Ontario.

Regina Watch Co. private label for H.R.Knowlton Atens, Ontario.

Hi again!

I found some time to take a closer look on this watch, so here's another movement for you to see.
    It is a 15 jewel Regina Watch Co. (Omega brand for American - mostly Canadian AFAIK - market).

It's a damaged and recased movement, but it has very nice dial, not bad plates and I bought it cheaply, so… why not having one?

Firstly - let's have a look at the setting mechanism.
    This movement was made for American market, so it is set up for a male stem in the pendant.

Name:  DSC00174.JPG
Views: 26
Size:  721.3 KB

As you'll see below - there are two levers, a circular spring and a pusher installed in the female half of the stem.

Name:  DSC00180_1.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  910.7 KB

It is quite similar to Waltham's design, BTW.
    The 3rd wheel dial side jewel had been crudely replaced and as I was to find out soon, the 3rd pinion is incorrect. It has 8 teeth, while I think it should have 10.
    As a result - the hands move slower than the second hand - the minute hand will not advance a full minute when the second hand already finishes it's cycle.

At this point, though, I had no idea.

Name:  DSC00188.JPG
Views: 24
Size:  858.2 KB

The ratchet wheel seems not original too. If so, than this is a functional replacement, in contrast to the pinion...
    The watch has Swiss double roller escapement, Breguet overcoil hairspring and cut bimetallic balance. Good quality…

Name:  DSC00194.JPG
Views: 24
Size:  937.7 KB

The dial is mounted with three screws on the side of the movement.
    And that's it!

Name:  DSC00201.JPG
Views: 25
Size:  203.8 KB

Like I said -mint PL dial on this one and lovely set of hands.
    The watch is working, but - like I said - won't keep good time with incorrect 3rd pinion.

Name:  DSC00202.JPG
Views: 23
Size:  257.2 KB

The movement is a mix of American style design features (like setting mechanism and balance jewels) with Swiss overall looks and finish.

Name:  DSC00203.JPG
Views: 22
Size:  208.0 KB

It's a good quality movement as well.
    The plating is already wearing off and I think it could have been thicker, though.

It is recased in Philadelphia Silverode case - the original probably scrapped for gold content.

I decided to leave it for now, maybe one day I'll find an original 3rd wheel for it.
    I just don't have time to play with this watch anymore and - even though there are plenty of 10 tooth pinions around - I bet finding a correct pinion and fitting it would take hours of work…

Not worth it, I'll just sit back and wait, one day I will just find an original one to replace, as it's not a very rare model.

Thank for looking and... good day to you all!
    Have a great day!!!

Re: Regina Watch Co. private label for H.R.Knowlton Atens, Ontario.

The 3rd wheel shouldn't be awfully hard to find - the movement is by Omega alright. Guess you'll just need an "orphaned" Omega donor movement, they surface on eBay every now and then.

The serial number is also Omega - ca.5.5 million mark would be somewhere between 1910 and 1915. 1913 would be my bet.
    busmatt likes this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

No, I also think it's nit that difficult to find the wheel. It's just that I don't have as much time for watches as I used to have, so I won't be searching very hard for it. Maybe one day it will appear, though. Many parts I've found, I've found by chance 🙂
    busmatt likes this.
    Have a great day!!!

Thread Information