Relation between Marc Nicolet Skindiver and Breitling Oyster Geneve? What´s the history?

Thread: Relation between Marc Nicolet Skindiver and Breitling Oyster Geneve? What´s the history?

Relation between Marc Nicolet Skindiver and Breitling Oyster Geneve? What´s the history?

I´ve just bought a Marc Nicolet Skindiver (1967) automatic. 30 atm. It has (as far as I know) an ETA 2472. I´ll receive it tomorrow!

Anyway, I´ts been really difficult to find any information about the watch or the brand. Do you know anything? Also, I´ve stumbled upon pictures of a Breitling Oyster Geneve, apparently looking like the exakt same watch except for the naming on the dial (and the fact that it was 20atm). Was there cross-production or the like going on at the time?

here´s the watch!

/Stefan

Name:  marcnicolet.jpg
Views: 1690
Size:  122.9 KB

Re: Relation between Marc Nicolet Skindiver and Breitling Oyster Geneve? What´s the history?

Here is the Breitling (pic borrowed from Antiquorom)

Name:  breitlinggeneve.jpg
Views: 1912
Size:  36.7 KB

Re: Relation between Marc Nicolet Skindiver and Breitling Oyster Geneve? What´s the history?

Hi nice watch, yours' is almost identical, yours has a ever so slight curving to the outer lug(maybe optical illusion by the angle of picture), and also yours is 30 ATM , the Brietling is 20...Mark Nicolet is a relative of Armand Nicolet, this watch making family goes back a long ways. Armand's watches are pretty high end. I own one Mark Nicolet Tank style from the 50s, Marks' designs were thought of as eccentric/ radical sometimes, and are more conservatively priced. There is quite a bit of info on the web about them.
    It's possible both watch makers out sourced their cases from another company or one of them bought them off the other.
    Last edited by Fantasyvoyager; September 26th, 2011 at 20:19.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Yep, they are slightly curved indeed. So the cases aren´t the same then? No matter, I just found it interesting that they were so alike. Also, I didn´t pay a whole lot for it either! ;)

Do you have any info sources online to point me to?

/Stefan

Thread Information