Relion Watch Company

Thread: Relion Watch Company

Relion Watch Company

My Mother just gave me a wrist watch that was originally owned by my Grandmother. The face of the watch is marked with the word SWIS with no other markings. The case hinges open and on the back inside of the case it is engraved Relion W. Co., Warranted 25 years, 14k gold filled. It is also hand engraved with the letters CA, the date 4/27/42 and the letters LA postioned in such a way that the leg of the L forms the center line of the A. On the back of the movement it is IX 6 JEWELS, ONE 1 ADJUSTMENT and the letters RS and AF with an arrow between them and some sort of symbol underneath. The winding spring appears to be broken. Can anyone tell me about the company and the watch and Approximately how much it would cost to clean and repair?
    Thanks!

Last edited by Daarkcloud; November 9th, 2008 at 20:59.

Re: Relion Watch Company

Sorry - can't find anything about it.

There's one on ebay right now:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ANTIQUE-14K-WH...3286.m63.l1177

My guess would be it was an American company that imported Swiss watches into the US - note "watch company" in English not French or German.

Hope someone else can help.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Thanks for posting and welcome. The company name is unknown to me, but there are others who may have heard of it. My guess is the watch is from the 1920s based on the Art Deco style and the "Warranted 25 Years" on the case. 6 jewels sounds to me like a cylinder escapement.
    Normally a cleaning and lubrication would cost around $100 plus parts, and you may indeed need a new mainspring. Probably it'll cost considerably more than the watch is worth but it is a family heirloom.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

the letters RS and AF with an arrow between them and some sort of symbol underneath.
    This is the regulator. Turning the needle one way or another speeds up, or slows down the watch, by lengthening or tightening the hairspring. "R" and "A" stand for "retard" and "advance", "S" and "F" stand for "Slow" and "Fast", indicating the result of pushing the needle in a particular direction.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

The whole thing is a typical early ladies wrist watch made on the basis of a ladies pendant watch movement. As Ray stated, a cylindre escapement, 6 jewels. It would be possible to repair it - mainsprings are fairly generic - and the cost should not be much, especially as part of a general service which the watch would need anyway. Still, the service alone would cost more than the watch is objectively worth and that should be taken into consideration when making the decision. If it is an heirloom and someone would be inclined to wear it, go for it - it is robust enough to give you good service.

Hartmut Richter

Thank you for all the replies. I will probably get it serviced since I enjoy imagining it being worn by my Grandmother in a time so different from today. I assume that the links in the band at one time had springs in them to keep them tight and they no longer work. I would be reluctant to replace it so it will be unlikely that it would be worn by anyone.

Thread Information