relume or not.......a dilemna
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: relume or not.......a dilemna

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

relume or not.......a dilemna

while I will profess that a Nivada Grench chrono is not a unicorn this one is per the following link the allegedly "rarer" of the few models out there.

Nivada Grenchen | The Watch Spot

Now I took a shot at fleabay and it turns out the watch looks really good cosmetically.
    Movement wise it is a Valjoux 23 column wheel chrono in great looking shape, no rust....case has no pitting so overall a nice package.
    The movement needs a serious service sine 300 s/d fast and 211 amplitude but that is fixable.

Now onto the question, clearly the hour hand has lost lume, and the 1 and 2 o'clock marker have no lume left at all.

so there goes the rub, would you relume the hour hand and 1, 2 o'clock markers to match the overall look.
    I am aiming towards a yes

some pics

Name:  IMG_0350.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  2.01 MB
    Pboy123 likes this.

Re: relume or not.......a dilemna

Only you can decide. It's purely a matter of taste, since it really won't change the value as long as it's well done. Of course there's always a chance it won't be done well and the lume won't match, or it will be sloppy.

Would you have all the lume removed from the hands a dial before the work is done? Or would you try to match the existing colors?

Another option would be to do the hands (both of them) and leave the dial alone. If you're not happy with the hands, they can always be re-done without much risk. I'm always a little more nervous about altering the dial.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

That's a cool looking watch! I think if you have the ability to re-lume the markers, I'd re-lume them all.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I would also relume it all.

Relume hands. Dial leave as is.
    badbackdan likes this.
    Vintage Zodiac addict.

Some really good advice here thanks
    My first thought was relume the hands and 1/2 markers to match the rest of the dial. In doing so is the risk that hands +1-2 would not match the rest of the dial markers which would not be good.

So reluming all or just reluming the hands might be the better move but I don’t think I can unsee the bare 1-2 markers. The hour hand seems to have a slightly greener look as well so in short I don’t know
    Just love the look and I am sure my watchmaker will do great but a tad torn here .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Relume only the hands but matching the markers colour; don't touch the dial
    jmanlay and badbackdan like this.

Re luming always seem to look a bit like twitchy mctwitchy did it so normally i would say no.

It looks like yours has been done before so do the lot. You certainly can not make those hands any worse.

If that was my watch i think it would be my daily wear it is really well styled.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl.1 View Post
    Re luming always seem to look a bit like twitchy mctwitchy did it so normally i would say no.

It looks like yours has been done before so do the lot. You certainly can not make those hands any worse.

If that was my watch i think it would be my daily wear it is really well styled.

I don't think it was ever relumed. What you see is the bare dial at the 1 and 2 o'clock markers where the lume just fell off. the tritium lume on all other markers is consistent with what is left on the minute hand. Lume was hand applied so that is why it looks like someone put something on top of the dial markers. However, I have no idea if the lume (all over minus the minute hand) can be "stabilized" or if it will also fall off. I am also not sure if the original lume can be removed then re-applied in the same color tones. I don't want the watch to look new but maintain its vintage appeal.
    it has a fantastic movement and ding less case with zero pitting so I want to keep it as original as possible.

I don't think the seconds hand is authentic so I wouldn't invest any money into it. So no relume.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast