Relumed Radium Dial- ?
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Relumed Radium Dial- ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Relumed Radium Dial- ?

Got this watch off of ebay a year or so ago for the hell of it. Its got to be a knock off or just a complete fake but I really just bought it for the radium dial. The watch works, but keeps pretty terrible time haha. The relume on the dial is so awesome though. It glows dimly even when its been in the watch box for weeks.
    I think I paid $30-$40 so Im happy.

Any one know anything about this watch? I cannot find a bit of info on them, I cannot even tell what the name says on the dial.

My plans are to throw a black zulu or nato on it and use it for a cheap daily, and for camping so I can see it in my tent at night :)

Name:  7080855219_0cce9857c6_z.jpg
Views: 5851
Size:  130.6 KB

EDIT: I did some research on here and found out some info, Called an HMT... is this the pilot watch or? Made in India in the 60s?
    Last edited by silversixx; April 15th, 2012 at 21:09.
    Maratac Mid Pilot Watch + Black Maratac Zulu
    HMT w/ Lume + Black Maratac Nato
    Wenger Commando Chrono Big Crown II
    Tissot prc200 t17.1.586.42

Re: Relumed Radium Dial- ?

The Mumbai Manglers doing their work on Indian watches this time... Is that some perverse form of justice? Or is someone elsewhere doing this in retaliation?? LOL

Junk watch of no collector interest. And I prefer tritium gas tubes for illumination... you can always see them in the dark and they never need to be recharged. But that too is irrelevant to Vintage and Pocket Watches.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Well, with a half life of only a little more than a decade or so, Tritium tubes expire quicker than Radium. But yes, you don't have to recharge them.....

Hartmut Richter
    ZephyrNYC likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I don't believe that tritium can be had for 40 bucks either. I mainly wanted a radium watch for historic reasons, I think it's very interesting. I'm sure you have all heard of the radium girls.
    Last edited by silversixx; April 15th, 2012 at 23:17.
    ZephyrNYC likes this.

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history. You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

Going with your quote I would saw this watch fits well into a collection... Of some kind haha. Maybe not of quality craftmaship of a timepeace but a intersting history. The use of radium alone is historic and kind of tragic. Did you know they still used radium for instrumentation tanks in the gulf war... Not the US, but Iraq and some others. Crazy haha
    ZephyrNYC likes this.

I'd like to have one of those old radium watches... that new crap that they use doesn't last for a night unless it is exposed to light all day long. what is that new stuff called, anyway?

I'd doubt it's radium because while radium itself would still be active after 50 or 60 years, the phospher (usually a form of zinc sulfide) degrades faster then that, and as far as I can tell, even military applications ceased to use Radium much past the 60's. So if it still glows after several days in a dark drawer, it's likely a fairly recent tritium-based application.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    I'd doubt it's radium because while radium itself would still be active after 50 or 60 years, the phospher (usually a form of zinc sulfide) degrades faster then that, and as far as I can tell, even military applications ceased to use Radium much past the 60's. So if it still glows after several days in a dark drawer, it's likely a fairly recent tritium-based application.
    The watch has been relumed though, I do know they are still using radium paint in certain countries for reluming since its not regulated.

Maybe ill put some film over the watch and see if it develops it hahah
    ZephyrNYC likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by lukemarine View Post
    I'd like to have one of those old radium watches... that new crap that they use doesn't last for a night unless it is exposed to light all day long. what is that new stuff called, anyway?
    its called super luminova C3 my maratac mid pilot watch uses this, I cant wait for it to come in the mail! hah

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Why do you think it's radium? I wasn't aware anyone had used that for lume since before that watch was made.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information