Reluming vintage dials. For the love of God!
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Reluming vintage dials. For the love of God!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Reluming vintage dials. For the love of God!

First off, I am no vintage watch expert, but I do love the vintage watches. I have a special fondness for dive watches from the 60s and 70s. But my word!

Can someone please explain what would possess someone to relume a vintage original dial? I can count on one hand the good relume jobs I have seen. So why ruin an otherwise nice watch?

Please, people, stop the insanity!

Sent from my GT-P7310 using Tapatalk HD
    phoobo likes this.

Re: Reluming vintage dials. For the love of God!

Hi Xman

I cant really say I view this is a problem... but I guess it depends on what you mean 'relume a vintage original dial'? If this is with regard to 60s/70s dive watches only, its not a field I would say I look at.... so some pics would be good as an example. If this is 'vintage' watches in general, I have had plenty of watches relumed.

Thats not to say I have not seen some dodgy reluming on Mumbai specials.... which is a good thing imo, its just another way to identify a watch I want to stay clear of!

Could it be you have seen more than a handful of good relumes.... 100s in fact, But you did not identify it as a relume, as it was well done? What i mean is... you only notice the bad relumes!

I realise im playing devils advocate here... but as I say, I have not really noticed this problem!

Cheers
    Last edited by Sparcster; June 15th, 2013 at 21:09.
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

Tis true, one only notices the bad relumes.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I guess you're right. I guess i just see so many sloppy relumes (just look at the B/S/T right now).

But why relume a vintage dive watch at all? Are people really buying these vintage watches to use as tool watches?

Anyway I guess to each their own...

Quote Originally Posted by xman74 View Post
    First off, I am no vintage watch expert, but I do love the vintage watches. I have a special fondness for dive watches from the 60s and 70s. But my word!

Can someone please explain what would possess someone to relume a vintage original dial? I can count on one hand the good relume jobs I have seen. So why ruin an otherwise nice watch?

Please, people, stop the insanity!

I am no expert either, but I specialize in vintage prior to 1950.
    AND
    I am SO against either re-worked dials or cases. Many of the re-lumed dials I see are atrocious, nothing like the original timepiece
    If a dial (or case) is so distressed then any re-work should be both minimal but more importantly exactly to the original. Neither adding or attempting to change what the OEM had created.

I can never accept that a re-worked dial as being acceptable.
    It may be needed but ONLY as a final alternative

Good Thread
    Regards
    adam
    Last edited by HOROLOGIST007; June 15th, 2013 at 21:11.
    DD7 likes this.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Well, since most lume stops glowing after a decade or two, reluming is the only option if you still want your watch to glow. For a dive watch, glow is a major functional requirement, so if you want your watch to appear "authentic", you need to relume it once the original lume stops working. For older watches, the original lume is quite often radioactive (in some case, very highly so). That poses a serious risk for watchmakers who have to handle the uncased movements on a regular basis. Often, they will require that the original lume be removed as a function of accepting the work. So again, if you want to dial to have the "look" of the original, you need to have the lume reapplied with something non-radioactive.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Quote Originally Posted by HOROLOGIST007 View Post
    I can never accept that a re-worked dial as being acceptable.
    It may be needed but ONLY as a final alternative

Good Thread
    Regards
    adam
    ?
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

Quote Originally Posted by DaBaeker View Post
    ?
    You lost me

No you haven't - Understand. I think I am losing the plot - must be the heat here.
    My feeling is roughly the same
    're-lumes' usually are terrible with the person thinking that it should look luminous in daylight and dark - i.e. HUGE THICK green paint.
    My opinion, unless you can make a colour (deep orange/red) that a luminous what would look to-day, then better just to remove the lume and leave dial and hand clear

Regards
    Last edited by HOROLOGIST007; June 16th, 2013 at 11:06.
    phoobo likes this.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    Adam

I only relume modern dials and hands. Anything pre-80 stays original (if possible of course.) It kind of sucks because my lume is shot (obviously) on the older ones and I'd like to up the usefulness factor, but the tradeoff is a beautiful tritium patina. So beautiful that I relumed a modern diver to mimic it:

(Dedicated to the pink tiger stripe and the man behind it.)

Thats a nice job

and
    Adam

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information