Remontoir info

Thread: Remontoir info

Remontoir info

I just remembered i got left back at my childhood house this pocked watch.
    It is a Remontoir Ancre 15 jewels. Unfortunately this are the only pictures i got and the watch is 3000+ km away. Ill be going home soon so i am thinking if is worth repairing it.

Is not working. missing the hands also. just one left. As far as i remember is in quite good condition apart from this. and the dial looks great. I never fixed it because it was very hard to find original parts and very expensive. but now i might do it.
    Anything about brand? maybe model year? is it worth repair? I think is a silver case but not sure. I know a mechanism pic woudl have been better but.. i don;t got one at the moment

Last edited by LoveSexAndDrugs; July 11th, 2013 at 00:46.

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Re: Remontoir info

I think that repair is going to cost more than it's worth in financial terms so it depends if it has any emotional value to you?

On the down side in addition to what you've noted the case back is missing and the mechanism is turned by 90 degrees inside the case (note the position of the twelve) which means there is an issue with the stem/ winding. On the up side it's a lever escapement with reasonable jewelling. Date wise I'd stab at 1910 - 1920 from the stem wind and set and that dial with the fancy internal bezel.

Just to add
    'REMONTOIRE' is French for 'rewind' it was invented by John Harrison in H1 in 1737 in his quest to win the Longitude prize that he did finally win in 1760 with H4.

'REMONTOIRE' was a device that ensured constant amount of power to the escapement to improve isochronism. Many early escapements / Power Train (like fusee) lose all power to escapement during winding

anyone interested in Horology who has not read Dava Sobel book on Longitude is missing a fantastic understanding of Horology.

Regards
    adam
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HOROLOGIST007 View Post
    'REMONTOIRE' was a device that ensured constant amount of power to the escapement to improve isochronism. Many early escapements / Power Train (like fusee) lose all power to escapement during winding
    I had long wondered about the meaning and origin of a 'going' barrel but now it becomes clear! Thanks Adam.

Thanks guys. I saw the dial is in bad position. Also it has no emotional value whatsoever just in financial terms i was interested. I know we don't do evaluations here I just wanted to know if it's worth investing that money in since i have no clue about the brand. I don't know if it's a luxury one or just a regular pocket watch. Is one to repair a Rolex for 300$ let's say.. and other thing to spend this money on a Pobeda russian watch that has no value.

oh btw mirius i think the back case is not the one missing. If i remember correctly when i removed back cover there is another one with some horse design. The front one is missing for sure. is nothing to cover up the cristal. In a couple of weeks ill have the chance to get some picture with the watch
    Last edited by LoveSexAndDrugs; July 11th, 2013 at 16:11.

I think back is missing you can see broken hinge, what you are seeing is the 'cuvee' (inside dust cover)
    I am thinking this was a Lepine (open face case) so NO front cover like a 'hunter'

Regards
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    Adam

Hmm i see. Well i must confess i am newbie in this vintage sector so i just assumed.

I think back is missing you can see broken hinge, what you are seeing is the 'cuvee' (inside dust cover)
    I am thinking this was a Lepine (open face case) so NO front cover like a 'hunter'

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by LoveSexAndDrugs View Post
    Hmm i see. Well i must confess i am newbie in this vintage sector so i just assumed.
    We were all 'newbie's' - so now we are all here to help - see my signature
    Regards
    adam

and
    Adam

thanks mate it means a lot.

We were all 'newbie's' - so now we are all here to help - see my signature
    Regards
    adam

Quote Originally Posted by LoveSexAndDrugs View Post
    thanks mate it means a lot.
    GREAT
    Glad to help.
    A

and
    Adam

Thread Information