Remove gold plating from base metal bezel?
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Remove gold plating from base metal bezel?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    874

    Confused Remove gold plating from base metal bezel?

    I've wanted this particular Orion model for a while after missing an auction for it a year or two back. The asymmetrical case is awesome and I love the dotted lume on the hands.
    But I was thinking if the actual case was steel or at least chrome that it would really bring out the maroon dial. Plus steel/chrome can be paired with a wider selection of watch bands, in my opinion.

    Is it hard to remove the plating and then chroming the base metal?

    Name:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  153.8 KBName:  s-l1600 (2).jpg
Views: 342
Size:  168.5 KB

    I also bought this Tavannes watch because I think the vintage art on it is really cool. I'm not very religious but I think the colour pops and makes for an interesting conversation/collector's piece.
    My question is: Is it hard to remove that lume from the hands? I think it looks kinda ugly and that see-through hands would look a lot better.
    Name:  s-l1600 (1).jpg
Views: 408
Size:  133.5 KB
    Last edited by Dr.Fu Manchu; February 22nd, 2016 at 07:46.
    busmatt likes this.

  2. #2
    Member bsshog40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Tx.
    Posts
    2,130

    Re: Remove gold plating from base metal bezel?

    I really don't have any experience doing either but I think chrome plating actually involves acid washing, nickle plating, and the chrome plating so don't see the need to have to remove present plating. As for the lumed hands, I would thing just pushing out the lume with a toothpick?????? Or just finding another set of hands. Just guessing but hope it helps.
    Bobby - My original music! Check me out! Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...11CC8CC6093D80

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    874

    Re: Remove gold plating from base metal bezel?

    Quote Originally Posted by bsshog40 View Post
    I really don't have any experience doing either but I think chrome plating actually involves acid washing, nickle plating, and the chrome plating so don't see the need to have to remove present plating. As for the lumed hands, I would thing just pushing out the lume with a toothpick?????? Or just finding another set of hands. Just guessing but hope it helps.
    Oh yeah I guess I could just push it out with a toothpick or something after I take the hands off. Do you think I could use like a DIY chrome spray if I took the movement out of the watch and sprayed the case?

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    the Netherlands
    Posts
    584

    Re: Remove gold plating from base metal bezel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Fu Manchu View Post
    Oh yeah I guess I could just push it out with a toothpick or something after I take the hands off. Do you think I could use like a DIY chrome spray if I took the movement out of the watch and sprayed the case?
    A toothpick is indeed a very good idea. After you've pushed most of it out you could use a glassfiber brush to remove the remaining bits. As for the diy chrome spray. I'm sorry but that would look a mess. A replating company would chemically remove the plating, slighty polish the base metal and then re-nickle or re-chrome it. I think you should look into that as it's not that expensive and would look much nicer than a spray can.
    Habitant, busmatt and Dr.Fu Manchu like this.
    -The days of the digital watch are numbered.

  6. #5
    Member bsshog40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Tx.
    Posts
    2,130

    Re: Remove gold plating from base metal bezel?

    I agree on the chrome spray. That stuff is definately noooo good. You wouldn't even be able to prep the watch enough for that stuff to look good at all. Having it plated would be the best option.
    Bobby - My original music! Check me out! Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...11CC8CC6093D80

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    UTC
    Posts
    2,443

    Re: Remove gold plating from base metal bezel?

    It costs around £20 (USD$30 ish) to get it plated by a professional specialist jewellery plating company. How much does a can of spray can cost?

    Quote Originally Posted by bsshog40 View Post
    I agree on the chrome spray. That stuff is definately noooo good. You wouldn't even be able to prep the watch enough for that stuff to look good at all. Having it plated would be the best option.

  8. #7
    Member 1955mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    551

    Re: Remove gold plating from base metal bezel?

    You can remove the lume on the hands with eyeglasses lens wipes. They are just alcohol wet wipes and will get all traces of it off. But be careful. The lume on these old watches was radium. It very dangerous if you happen to breathe in any of the dust. Using a tooth pick is going to scatter this radium all over the place and I don't think you would want to do that.
    bsshog40 likes this.

  9. #8
    Member Addictedtowatches's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania,USA
    Posts
    1,703

    Re: Remove gold plating from base metal bezel?

    I've done it in the past with Cape Cod cloths but it was smooth and thinly plated. I don't know how it would work on this one. How about a pic of the back too?
    --Charlie

    -Citizen -Seiko -Heuer -Steinhart -Bulova -TagHeuer

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    the Netherlands
    Posts
    584

    Re: Remove gold plating from base metal bezel?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1955mercury View Post
    You can remove the lume on the hands with eyeglasses lens wipes. They are just alcohol wet wipes and will get all traces of it off. But be careful. The lume on these old watches was radium. It very dangerous if you happen to breathe in any of the dust. Using a tooth pick is going to scatter this radium all over the place and I don't think you would want to do that.
    The dial is indeed radium but the hands have been re-lumed in the past already and it's definitely not radium. Looks like modern luminova.
    Last edited by Vintage1982; February 21st, 2016 at 21:32.
    -The days of the digital watch are numbered.

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    the Netherlands
    Posts
    584

    Re: Remove gold plating from base metal bezel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Habitant View Post
    It costs around £20 (USD$30 ish) to get it plated by a professional specialist jewellery plating company. How much does a can of spray can cost?
    I just got 3 watches back from a professional plating company to be re-chromed. Was about $38 per watch.
    bsshog40 likes this.
    -The days of the digital watch are numbered.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. Is it possible to REMOVE gold tone plating from a caseback?
      By kung-fusion in forum Casio G-Shock
      Replies: 17
      Last Post: September 28th, 2014, 18:45
    2. Does anyone know how to remove gold plating from a buckle?
      By kung-fusion in forum Casio G-Shock
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: May 25th, 2014, 23:59
    3. Is it possible to remove gold plating?
      By unwatched in forum Vintage & Pocket watches
      Replies: 9
      Last Post: May 14th, 2010, 18:03
    4. Replies: 7
      Last Post: November 30th, 2009, 04:50
    5. Replies: 4
      Last Post: October 17th, 2009, 14:03

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •