Repairing Vintage Elgin Pocket Watch

Thread: Repairing Vintage Elgin Pocket Watch

Repairing Vintage Elgin Pocket Watch

Hi,

I'm a newbie to the forum and this is my first post. The attached pics are of my grandfather's pocket watch. He passed away in 1966, and my mother gave it to me decades ago. I actually wore in for a number of years, back in the 80's when vests with men's suits were popular. Vests went out of style (at least in the US), I put it away, and haven't used it much at all in the intervening years.

I'm 62 now and one starts to think of the next generations. I pulled it out recently with the idea of getting it cleaned up and at some point down the road, giving it to one of my kids or grandkids. Using the very helpful databases I found in other posts here, the movement SN dates it to approximately 1926-1927, which the Wadsworth case back seems to confirm. The databases say Grade 479, though I don't really know what that means.

Does anyone have any other information on it that would be interesting to know?

The watch stops and starts, and doesn't run consistently now. Also, somewhere in the intervening years I lost the bow (for a long time I kept it on my desk hanging by the bow in a glass watch dome, which probably wasn't a good idea). Do you have recommendations in the US (I live in Arizona) on where I could get it serviced and the bow replaced? I know it probably doesn't have a lot of market value but I would be willing to put some money into for sentimental reasons.

Thanks for any help.

{PS. I saved the pics into small format (100-150KB), I'm not sure why they show up so huge in the post...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Repairing Vintage Elgin Pocket Watch

Any local watch repairman can overhaul that for you, and it should be easy to find a bow for it. Let's see if anyone watching that lives near you responds. Ron

Re: Repairing Vintage Elgin Pocket Watch

Quote Originally Posted by RonD. View Post
    Any local watch repairman can overhaul that for you, and it should be easy to find a bow for it. Let's see if anyone watching that lives near you responds. Ron

Thanks!

Thread Information