Replacement dial for Cyma
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Replacement dial for Cyma

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Replacement dial for Cyma

Hi guys,
    I picked up a vintage Cyma recently that I am having restored. The dial has some water marks and scratches on it. I'd like to wear this watch around and I would really like a nice clean dial on it, however I don't want to ruin the original dial by repainting it, is there anywhere that I'll be able to buy a replacement dial? I know that Cyma doesn't make watches anymore, I don't mind if it isn't an authentic dial, as long as it looks legitimate of it is going to save me from altering the original dial in case I ever decided to out it back on.

Here's a couple of photos of it. It comes with the original box and the rest of the watch is in alright condition besides a broken mainspring. I am also worried that by repainting the dial I will affect the value of the watch in the future.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Replacement dial for Cyma

Hi,

Your best bet is to look for the same watch in perfect condition and swap the dials but I doubt it would justify :)
    Someone put a very wrong crown on it
    Chaos is my focus

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Cyma doesn't make watches anymore? Of course they do! Just some really horrible ones...
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

To be honest, I don't see what your issue is here. A good dial company should be able to refinish this so exactly, so easily, that I would go that way. Which dial - the false, not original re-purposed dial or the false, re-finished one - would be somehow more authentic to the original watch? For my money, either action isn't authentic, so you can't really think that one way is somehow more 'true' than the other. You would never reinstate the heavily marked dial. Also, let's be honest here, it's a lovely watch, but not really a premium collectible one. Stop suffering and get a good dial refinish.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_95 View Post
    Hi guys,
    I picked up a vintage Cyma recently that I am having restored. The dial has some water marks and scratches on it. I'd like to wear this watch around and I would really like a nice clean dial on it, however I don't want to ruin the original dial by repainting it, is there anywhere that I'll be able to buy a replacement dial? I know that Cyma doesn't make watches anymore, I don't mind if it isn't an authentic dial, as long as it looks legitimate of it is going to save me from altering the original dial in case I ever decided to out it back on.
    bobbee likes this.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Ideally, you would want a watch with an immaculate, original dial. Unfortunately, that's not what you have. The question would then be: by redialling, will you lower the value of a watch further that is already not quite as valuable as it could be? If it was patina (an even ageing of the dial with slight spotting everywhere or something similar), I think that you should leave it - plenty of people will accept that and still pay a decent amount. If it is like this, I would consider that borderline. In some cases, the dial is so far gone that there is no question of a redial making it more valuable to most people (only the purists would object). But if you are never going to sell it, it doesn't really matter anyway. Your choice.

Hartmut Richter

IMO, a NOS dial is always the solution that appears to be better. Is it? Given that we're dealing with an original part, it certainly has a better effect- even the most accurate redials will have some very small details, which will give it away as a repaint.
    If you intend to keep it and wear it, why bother about the value at all? Yes, of course some will not feel good about decreasing the value of a watch they wear on their wrist.
    With all these redial horror stories around, no wonder why looking for a NOS dial seems to be the way to go.

As to NOS dials, sometimes watchmakers have their own sources of these. An example? About seven years ago, my watchmaker was restoring my grandfather's watch. The watch is a Pallas (no, not the German brand- this one, equipped with an FHF movement, was made by Pallas of Chaux-de-Fonds). Would I expect NOS dials for these to exist? No. Did they? Yes. The watchmaker knew a company, which bought out the entire supply of parts, after the manufacturer went bankrupt.

What I'm trying to say, is that you surely can ask a few watchmakers, maybe they have some access to NOS Cyma dials. I wouldn't expect much of a success, but who knows. I didn't expect one either back then!
    As to redialling- a proper redial company won't mess this one up, methinks. As long as they get the fonts right, there is nothing that can possibly go wrong. It's just a plain white dial with a Cyma logo, so as long as it's not the local handyman who does it, it isn't that risky. No minute track that can be painted off-centre, no fancy numerals...
    Check out the possibilities, then take your time to make the decision. Although I would advise to interfere with the dial only if you really can't live with the scratches on it.

As long as you don't plan on selling it, choose whatever makes you feel comfortable about wearing this watch.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Again. Just an opinion. And I will preface this by saying as a collector, I much prefer original dials. But unless this watch is particularly collectible or rare, a nice redial will make wearing it more attractive and in my opinion will make it more sellable at a higher price, even assuming you that you will disclose a redial. If not a highly collectible piece, collectors won't pay a premium, and I think there are more people looking for a beautiful vintage watch than there are collectors.
    Habitant and bobbee like this.

My point was that this fine watch is what I think of as a 'wearing' watch. Unfortunately, Cyma watches are, relatively speaking, undervalued in the marketplace. As such, they have no great collecting dynamic behind them, but there is a huge appreciation for them.

I have a few myself, one of which I had no choice - I felt - but to redial (in fact, a watchmaker had a nasty accident with it and neither of us had much choice). Of course, I would have preferred an original dial, but it was not to be. Any dials or donor watches around were pretty ropey. The result is great. I wear it. I like it. If I sold it, I'd have to tell someone. Of course.

This dial has incised markers and is devoid of any secondary print. A competent dial company ought to be able to keep the ink out of the incisions. A decent one should have the standard Cyma logo and logotype dies. For those reasons, I think this is a simple job.

But in any event, it's unlikely to ever get sold for enough money that dial originality is going to make more than a tiny financial difference to the final value of the piece; we have to consider the benchmark value of the watches in question. 20% (just for fun, let's pull a number out of a hat) on a $200 watch versus 20% on a $500 - just to throw numbers around, no reflection on the 'value' of the OP's watch.

There are brands - Bulova comes to mind - that people don't seem as bothered about re-dials as others - Omega comes to mind. In the case of Bulova, there are a few companies out there with the dies and the results are often really quite good. In the case of Omega, it's more complicated. There are a lot of poorly done Omega dials out there, mainly for reasons of greed, sloth and poor craftsmanship. There are companies out there with accurate dies for some of the models, but an awful lot of potato print dials.

So…

We all agree that we would prefer originality, authenticity and provenance. Me too. But I maintain that this dial could be re-done 'as new' and without as much effort as months of trawling around for a replacement dial in as good condition as the OP's, forget better for now. Reality bites - which lie do you live with? Either course breaks the chain of provenance. Neither, in the strictest sense, adds value to the watch. Better, I think, to have a great looking watch to enjoy. But that's just my opinion and a heretical one 'round these parts most days.
    Last edited by Habitant; November 29th, 2015 at 01:15.
    Giotime, mkws and bobbee like this.

As to Omega, don't forget about non-waterproof cased being marked "waterproof", which weren't exactly a good combination with the paint used by Omega- known for being really susceptible to humidity-inflicted damage. Due to sloth, maybe - although some of these redials do look as if they were repainted by a bradypus variegatus​. Greed- usually.
    Habitant likes this.
    Edgar Allan Poe

George Orwell

Erich Maria Remarque

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information