Replacement glass/acrylic and polishing ...

Thread: Replacement glass/acrylic and polishing ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Replacement glass/acrylic and polishing ...

I'm having a few problems with my vintage watch since I moved overseas to work in the city. I don't think I have been bumped by so many strangers with inherent programming problems in their gyroscopes!

One problem is, I've noticed it's a hazard wearing a watch in public. A lady (well not really ) managed to push her shopping trolley into my wrist watch and scratched the glass. As the week wore by, I started to keep my wrist held above my head on the metro hand rail to avoid people scratching it. That was fine, until I had to lower my arm due to the lack of oxygen circulation, and then they were all at it again inadvertently scratching my watch again

So I had the glass replaced. A shop replaced it, and it looked mortifying. My watch used to be 5mm thick. They added a glass, and made the watch about 10mm thick!

When I grumbled, the shopkeeper tells me that my watch is vintage, and that it is not possible to replace vintage glass due to the construction size/imperial measurements/ radio active fall out from pre-war watches yada yada yada.....

So. Questions:

1. How and where do you get your acrylic or glass watch glass replaced?
    2. Is there a chemical substance which can be used to protect the acrylic from scratches which can be coated? I've heard of CR39 coating polymer, but can't seem to find any.
    3. Any recommendations for a watch glass replacement company who are good at doing this? Every time I've had mine done (and I've had it done twice in one week!) there is always debris trapped underneath the glass which the guy didn't clean out properly.

In the meantime, I've taken to not wearing watches again.

Thanks for any help.

EHV

Re: Replacement glass/acrylic and polishing ...

I don't have anything specific other than to tell you that Polywatch works wonders to polish acrylic crystals plus it is inexpensive.
    Others have success with similar abrasive plastic polishes. You can try a polymer based car polish to protect the crystal but realize it may have an adverse effect on the optical quality. You'd need a protectant that goes on clear and does not discolor.
    As far as mineral crystals, if you are going to replace them, why not replace them with sapphire crystals? Some claim that they have successfully polished out a mineral crystal but I have not been able to do so.

I think if you continue to need replacement crystals, you should just stock up and learn how to do it yourself. Or, why not go sapphire for every watch that you are able to do so with and not wear the ones that cannot be sapphire during the week when you work.

I have to ask where you are living that causes such a daily assault on your watch....and yourself!?!?! I have walked the streets of NYC many, many times during rush hour(s) in busy neighborhoods and never had issues like the ones you describe.

welcome back snowfox~i was hoping you would return, no hard feelings i hope.
    Enjoying a life far better than I deserve...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll have to look for polywatch then.

Thanks Novedl - just looked at your PM ;)

I've just been too busy getting my watch glass replacements to check into the forum whilst overseas!

Maybe I need a cheap chronograph less than $500 that I can bash up lol

buy a big one with extra shiny bits....... live a little

Like this?

or slightly downscaled:

... but it still doesn't fix the scratched glass of my proper watch!

your interest is the repair of the crystal on your vintage watch, i propose that this thread be copied to the vintage or watch repair forum to increase its exposure while placing your thread in the view of those with the most knowledge to assist. i am certain a member here has a source.

upload a photo and away we go.........

I've never managed to upload successfully on this site! Except for the first 2 images, and then it all started to go awry.

This one:

I'd like to get a flat crystal back on it - this replacement one is bulbous!

I'm sure it wasn't designed this way....

I've tried both Brasso and Mother's Mag Wheel Polish on vintage acrylic crystals with only marginal success. I need something STRONGER.
    Regards from Sunny San Diego..........Tom

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information