Replacement parts advice
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Replacement parts advice

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Replacement parts advice

I recently found my grandfather's Seiko H556-5009. I had the battery replaced but the top left button is inoperable, will not depress. The tech believes I need a new movement.

Obviously I would like a new crystal as well.

I'm very new to all of this. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I might begin to look for these replacement parts?

I also neglected to ask the tech which movement is inside :/ will I need to take it back to the shop to find out or is there another way to find out?

P.S. Apologies for the photo quality. I'm not a Glamour Shot Photographer! :P
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Replacement parts advice

Quote Originally Posted by haggisreflux View Post
    I recently found my grandfather's Seiko H556-5009. I had the battery replaced but the top left button is inoperable, will not depress. The tech believes I need a new movement.

I'm very new to all of this. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I might begin to look for these replacement parts?

I also neglected to ask the tech which movement is inside :/ will I need to take it back to the shop to find out or is there another way to find out?

Isn't the module used stated on the caseback? If you know what model you have and what module it uses I would start by searching Ebay.

Usually Seiko case back numbers reference the movement inside. I'm not a Seiko quartz expert, but usually there's a style and movement number engraved there - I only know the mechanical ones, which go something like 5606-7191 (5606 is the movement number in this case, 7191 the case style number)....

Both the module and replacement glass you'll be able to find with the numbers relevant to your model,

QUOTE=Vintage1982;23440602]Isn't the module used stated on the caseback? If you know what model you have and what module it uses I would start by searching Ebay.[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by Habitant; December 14th, 2015 at 21:50.
    Addictedtowatches likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Then H556 is the movement?

Then H556 is the movement?
    Yup and 500A would be the case number.

I suspect the button will become operable again with a cleaning. In my experience they tend to get somewhat gummed up with person. The crystal on the other hand looks like it needs replacement.
    Last edited by Charon; December 17th, 2015 at 05:36. Reason: Auto-corrected
    marks55 likes this.

Yep, probably a lot of used person flakes down that tube. I reckon that it might just work if someone - a watchmaker, for example - actually took it apart, replaced the crystal and did an ultrasonic clean on the case.

Yes, as opposed to the "tech" who probably cannot do any more than swap a battery. I would highly suggest finding an authorized Seiko shop or at least a proper watchmaker. It matters not the price level of the watch, what matters is that it is a family heirloom.

Let us know how it turns out!

PS: HaggisReflux, you have a username that is both gross and awesome at the same time!
    Just wanted to add that.
    Pink Floyd. Dark side of the moon. Side one, track four.
    Gallet Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalletChronographs/

Yes, I visited the watch and phone repair shop in the mall to get batteries for all three of his watches I discovered in a box.

I've since found an actual watchmaker. Not a Seiko authorized shop, but seemingly a bit more reputable. On that note, the Seiko site only showed one authorized US repair location, in New Jersey... Can that be right?

As to "watch price", I'm not overly impressed by price as a primary reason to own a watch. In fact, I believe the focus of my budding collection will be the "everyman's watch". With cell phones on the rise, your "quality, every day watch" seems like a dying breed.

Once I get these two Timex and one quartz Seiko of granddad's all restored, I'm going to spend some time with the Seiko 5 series.

Also, haggisreflux has been my go-to handle since the 90s. I'm not a fan of a string of numbers after my name and for some reason this one has always been available ;)
    marks55 likes this.

If the crystal is acrylic, I actually think that one would buff quite well.

I'd also be surprised if you need an entirely new movement to fix a broken pusher. I'd get a second opinion.
    Philippians 4:6 -Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information