Replica watches or the real deal?

Thread: Replica watches or the real deal?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Replica watches or the real deal?

I was told this might be the place to ask this question as it's concering a supposedly vintage watch (repost from Chinese watches as I thought it was a chinese replica watch).
    I've been looking at some quite handsome Jacot watches, the modern mushroom brand watch with Chinese movement, and then my eyes fell on the eBay item 180481322699. When I looked into some of the history of this watchmaker which indeed existed, born in 1864 and died in 1939 according to Clockwatchers they had this info: In 1911, the company used the trademark Primax on their watches, parts and packaging. From about 1920 the company traded as Terrasse Watch Co.
    So if this clock on eBay is from 1910 (as almost all this sellers watches is and all still looks brand spanking new too) this is inconsistent with that information as he didn't trade under the name Terrasse until much later.
    If you look closely on the pictures you can see the poor quality of the gold finish, so most probably not genuine gold either.
    Do you agree with my assessment this is a replica from China or Russia or do you believe I'm wrong?
    Still a nice looker but most of this guys watches that is supposedly a vintage watch goes for too high a price in my mind, I don't mind replicas but I don't want to pay for something like if it was the real vintage watch.
    The seller have some supposedly Vacheron Constantin and old Omegas for sale too which look very alike, same vintage and in the same "super condition" according to the seller. Incredible that this seller has had the good fortune to find this many watches in the same good condition when most watches from the 60ies and 70ies and later etc are much more worn in general, isn't it.

Re: Replica watches or the real deal?

I doubt the movment is a replica; the movment looks right for that era, and it's hard to fake an enamal dial with hairline cracks.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Southampton UK as prisoner of work but home is a village in La Mayenne.

They look good but they come from Ukraine. I doubt whether there is a single genuine watch in the whole country and would not touch it if Breguet himself rose from his grave to hand it to me.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by tomshep View Post
    They look good but they come from Ukraine. I doubt whether there is a single genuine watch in the whole country and would not touch it if Breguet himself rose from his grave to hand it to me.
    Oh, I dunno. I suspect if you looked hard enough you might be able to find one or two genuine watches in that country...

I agree that you're probably not going to find a vintage watch with all original and correct parts. However, if you like the look of the watch and are happy with the price, why not? I've seen a number of re-cased pocket watch movements stuck into large wristwatch cases and some seemed very attractive.

You see this is the confusing thing about these Ukraine watches - a lot of the time the basis for them is genuine. The dial and esp. the movement are almost certainly authentic, it is impossible (or at least unfeasible) to fake parts of such quality. The case appears to be a pocket watch case with the second cover missing from the back and a set of ornate lugs soldered on. The engraving on the back seems to match the mvt., so what we have here I'd say is a genuine Jacot savonette (the crown being at 3 o'clock) pocket watch which is missing the second lid from the back and onto which lugs have been soldered so that it can be sold as a wristwatch to rich Westerners who want a large 'vintage' wristwatch. Typical Ukraine job, they are all over eBay. The worst ones are Molnijas that they sell as Cortéberts.
    Last edited by MACz13; March 17th, 2010 at 07:59.

I agree it would appear to look like a construct, fantasy wristwatch, it started it's life as a pocket watch. The movement and case look nice, the back cover is missing, and lugs were added.

Hi Ladies,

terrible botch, terrible seller:
    16 or 17 jewels in the movement, 20 jewels on the back,
    14K gold in the head line, gold plated in the description.

I wonder who ever can bid on such a junk.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

Sorry to be picky here, but isn't "replica" just a euphamism for "fake"?
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Quote Originally Posted by Shangas View Post
    Sorry to be picky here, but isn't "replica" just a euphemism for "fake"?
    I always thought it meant "junk" (or, more accurately, "junk worn by fools").
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

"Replica" is like "Vintage"; the word has been heavily abused by people trying to dress up their pig-ear purses.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information