request for help with ardath watch

Thread: request for help with ardath watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

request for help with ardath watch

I have an Ardath, men's watch, (appears to be solid?) gold, with gold back-plate, 3 legged symbol on back-plate, Razor Edge on dial, Calendar, 21 jewels, waterproof, with model 11781 on the back, manual wind.

It is in perfect working order.

I know nothing about this watch. Can anyone tell me anything? When it was made? What it's worth?

I bought it for a birthday present and I'd really like to be able to tell them a bit about it!

Thank you!

Re: request for help with ardath watch

No valuations here. The posts at the top of the forum page contain a lot of information and one of them discusses why we can't say anything definitive on value.

A picture is worth a thousand words of description. A picture of the movement is worth at least ten thousand

In general, 21 jeweled movements are usually automatics. Without pics just which automatic movement is difficult to ascertain. They usually date from the '50s to present day.

Solid gold cases will have hallmarks (if made in Europe) or markings (if made in the States) indicating the level of purity. Without these, it is probably not solid gold.

Welcome to WUS vintage where the appreciation of age is an art form!
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

There are hundreds of Swiss watch makers that have disappeared over the years. What I could find out is that the company was founded in 1935 by Edmond Dreyfus in Geneve (Geneva) in 1935. If you can post a picture of the watch front and back and a picture of the watch with the back plate off so we can see the movement we can tell you much more because it likely has a common movement.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Here's what I have on Ardath:
    Attached Images Attached Images

My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Their 21j calendar models are quite nice. Date only, I believe...not a triple calendar or anything.

One with the serial number 11431B is on the 'Bay as we speak. No movement picture, however.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-ARDATH-1...9#ht_500wt_770

It is very rare for a genuine 14kt watch case to have a stainless steel caseback... I am sure it has happened but I have not seen it.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Indeed. This also crossed my mind. I assume that it is a plated case and a seller's mistake (or deliberate deception).

Hello
    Thanks for so many replies! I have taken a few pics with my phone camera - not very good resolution but if anyone has any more thoughts about this watch they would be much appreciated!

I'm not capable of taking the back off, will have to take it to someone.

Really I'm trying to identify what model it is, when it would have been made so that I can tell the person I bought it for about the watch. It's really lovely, has a new strap and runs like a train! I know they will love it and would love knowing some history about it...

:thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

From the photos (yes, I know they are pretty vague, but, still...) I would guess that this is either a gold case or is 'rolled gold'. It appears to be an older design than the one on eBay. Other than that, it could be handwound, standard automatic or even bumper wind inside. A good friend of mine has a Tissot that looks very similar and has a bumper wind movement.

One question to ask is - is the watch able to wind itself when worn, or do you have to wind it? If the former, can you feel a kind of 'pulse' in the case when you turn it back and forth, like a little heart beating or is is smooth?

Quote Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
    From the photos (yes, I know they are pretty vague, but, still...) I would guess that this is either a gold case or is 'rolled gold'. It appears to be an older design than the one on eBay. Other than that, it could be handwound, standard automatic or even bumper wind inside. A good friend of mine has a Tissot that looks very similar and has a bumper wind movement.

One question to ask is - is the watch able to wind itself when worn, or do you have to wind it? If the former, can you feel a kind of 'pulse' in the case when you turn it back and forth, like a little heart beating or is is smooth?
    You have to wind it (I'm just realising how much - years since I had a 'windy' watch!) - its not being given to the 'birthday boy' until Thursday, so I'm getting familiar with it etc. It has a beautiful tick :)

There is quite a deep scratch on the back and I would expect to see the underlying casing if it was gold plated...?

It also has 3 raised dots on the dial just below the name Ardath. The only number is the 12 - the rest are just marked by lines, except for the 9, 6 and 3 which are triangles. I haven't seen a dial design like this on any of the other Ardath watches I've seen, unfortunately.

The other writing on the dial is 'Razor Edge, Calendar' - is this the model/design name? Ever you ever heard of this design/model?

Does any of this suggest a date? I was kind of hoping for 1960 or 60's as it is for a 50th birthday present...but any history to do with it would be good. Is there any way to date it from the serial number/model number on the back?

Sorry - lots of questions :)
    :thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information