Research Help Request - Turkish Language
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Research Help Request - Turkish Language

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Research Help Request - Turkish Language

Just wondering if there’s another pocket watch enthusiast here who speaks Turkish? I am researching an aspect of the export trade from England to Turkey in the early nineteenth century and have a problem understanding a Turkish word that's cropped up in print.

If you can help, I’ll be extremely grateful – please PM me.

Thanks for reading.

David

Re: Research Help Request - Turkish Language

Not very experienced in pocket watches but let me know how I can help in Turkish.

If it's about import export regulations, enthusiasts here would be also interested.

nevermind
    Last edited by tinknocker; August 13th, 2015 at 17:01.
    Always give a word or a sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend, even a stranger, when in a lonely place. Show respect to all people and grovel to none.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

My neighbor is Turkish, his wife is Turkish, his daugther is Turkish, his sister and brother are Turkish and his parents are Turkish. A lot of people to ask. I do not understand why you are not putting an image of the badly printed word along with your post. Are you afraid that this word might have a bad meaning?

I don't know how you can find help better help through a PM under these circumstances, unless you are not just looking for a Turkish word, but some special advice on watch exports from England to Turkey. Baksheesh translates to bahşiş in Turkish, the currency is Turkish Lira and they are fairly relaxed about fakes and plagiarism, just to throw in a few answers without knowing the question.
    Last edited by Border-Reiver; August 13th, 2015 at 20:00.

Thanks for the replies so far. I suggested PM response as I didn't think my query in its raw form would be of interest on a board like his.

I am attaching a image of the word as it appeared in newsprint -which can itself cause confusions.

I'd repeat my gratitude for any help with what I'd confirm is an academic horological research project.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Well, if you just google that, it comes up as "warranted" in turkish.

Hartmut Richter

I am Turkish but I don't know such a word as ' cesendede'. Can't find that word in dictionaries both contemporary and older Ottoman dictionaries.

Googling 'cesendere' brings up interesting things which you might have seen already; one being about an English watchmaker and a law suit example from a book called Cyclopædia of commercial and business anecdotes printed in London in 1864:

Frodsham's Watch Cheat. Mr. Gant, a celebrated London watchmaker, had long manufactured watches for the markets of Constan- tinople and other places in the Levant ; and his watches had acquired great repute there, and a ready sale. They were distinguished from all others, not only by the names, but also by the word cesendede (warranted) impressed upon each in Turkish characters. It appeared that, at the same time, Messrs. Parkinson & Frodsham had manu- factured and were exporting, together with two other persons, who gave them the order, a number of watches with that distinguishing word upon them, and made, also, in other respects, to resemble and pass for Mr, G.'s watches. Messrs. P. & F. essayed to excuse them- selves by showing that they were not aware that they had been counterfeit- ing Mr. G.'s watches; that they had been ordered to make a quantity of watches for export, and to express on them the Turkish characters in ques- tion. They, however, argued that there was no law to prevent them from aflSx- ing the word " warranted," in Turkish, to their own watches, or limit the ex- clusive use of it to Mr. Gant. It was decided, on a suit being brought in the case, that Mr. G. having long used a Turkish word, in Turkish characters, engraved upon the watches made by him for the foreign market, where they were in high estimation and enjoyed great sale, had an exclusive right to the distinguishing marks which he had thus originated.

Back then the alphabet was Arabic alphabet, so I think for convenience they wrote it in the book as it's spelled - with Latin letters - which makes it harder to find the original word.

Tough call really, will look further.

Last edited by Emre; August 13th, 2015 at 21:24.

There is no such Turkish word (like all my Turkish neighbors confirmed and also Emre in the post before), there are also different variations of the letter 'c' or 's', with a lower accentuation, but nothing fits. It would be of interest to see the full text and not just a fraction of it.

The term (claiming it to be the Turkish equivalent of warranted) appears in connection with the 'Frodsham's watch cheat', and was most likely just messed up by going back and forth from English to Turkish. I am convinced, that you are researching this case and got stuck with this word, which is definitively not a Turkish one. Don't worry, even the Turks haven't heared of such a word...
    Last edited by Border-Reiver; August 13th, 2015 at 21:32.

Thanks again gentlemen for your responses. As is often the case when looking at old records/printed matter there is more in the way of confusions, errors, inconsistencies and misunderstandings than reliable information, and, frequently, one concludes a passage of detail study less certain of the 'facts' than when one started. However, I'm grateful to you as the issue is now off my check list!

Quote Originally Posted by davidbuckden View Post
    Thanks again gentlemen for your responses. As is often the case when looking at old records/printed matter there is more in the way of confusions, errors, inconsistencies and misunderstandings than reliable information, and, frequently, one concludes a passage of detail study less certain of the 'facts' than when one started. However, I'm grateful to you as the issue is now off my check list!
    I recently translated a book into another language. I got stuck with a word and instead of asking a native speaker, I went around for days without a clue. Finally it was discovered, that such a word does not exist, nothing even near, nothing in any combination of the letters. It was not even possible to find out the meaning, not from the sentence, not from the chapter, not from the entire book. I had to invent someting to go on...

By the way, I am right now doing some research in your neigborhood. I have an old verge watch which was sold by a watchmaker in Maidstone (watch itself made in London). The owner of the watch 'Edward Carter' had his name put on the dial, instead of the numbers. It's one of the Carters of the famous Carter family, who ruled the political scene down in Portsmouth some time ago. Unfortuantely, the name Carter comes 10 a penny in that area.
    Last edited by Border-Reiver; August 13th, 2015 at 21:50.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information