Resell value of marriage watches?
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Resell value of marriage watches?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Resell value of marriage watches?

I'm interested in a vintage circa ~1900 pocket watch movement converted into a wrist watch (marriage watch). I have found a few monopushers and rattrapantes that are absolutely beautiful movements placed in fairly high quality looking cases. What's the resell value of these watches like? I'm assuming it's mostly based on the movement. Anyone have experience buying and/or selling a converted pocket watch? Thank you.

Re: Resell value of marriage watches?

We generally advise against such watches. They are big and clumsy with no shock protection and readily damaged.

If you want one though, they tend to fetch a lot less when resold on ebay compared to the 'original' price achieved by the converter with nice pictures and hyped up historical details.
    WatchFred and radger like this.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Okay thank you for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by Marrick View Post
    We generally advise against such watches. They are big and clumsy with no shock protection and readily damaged.

If you want one though, they tend to fetch a lot less when resold on ebay compared to the 'original' price achieved by the converter with nice pictures and hyped up historical details.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi there,

if you tell the same lies about them like the people who originally cobbled them together, ebay will find the fool who believes them. So you'll likely get your money back. With reasonable better lies you even have the chance of some profit.

Regars, Roland Ranfft

What kind of lies? Manufacturer of the movement? Original dial? That sort of thing? What if I were to send you a few links. Could you take a look and explain why you see what you see? Thanks! Here are a couple I'm interested in:

LONGINES präzision Kaliber 19.71 JUMBO Superb ANTIKE mariage ARMBANDUHR 1917 | eBay

RARE 46mm Steel Chronometer Longines Pre 1929 Pocket Watch MVT | eBay

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Ranfft View Post
    Hi there,

if you tell the same lies about them like the people who originally cobbled them together, ebay will find the fool who believes them. So you'll likely get your money back. With reasonable better lies you even have the chance of some profit.

Regars, Roland Ranfft

I think Roland thinks more in terms of which famous Person wore the watch before, or that it was actually a military watch. Ideally both ...

Ebay Seller lesson one: "Each day a fool rises from his bed."

Regards,
    Tomcat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    After all's been said and done, there's a lot more said than done...

Patina: little pieces of history put on old watches and forgotten there by the maker of time

"Miracles?", he asked. "Forget about miracles. Those who walk on water just know where the stepstones are."

"Luxury watches - you acquire the right to take care of them, but they remain the property of their manufacturers."
    (Roland Ranfft)

Now available for your Kindle or Kindle Reader:

Tracks in a Blizzard - A (German) Christmas Ghost Story

Check me out on Facebook! / Visit us on Facebook! / Visit us in our living room!

Okay so I've really narrowed it down to this one: Longines COLUMN WHEEL CHRONOGRAPH "Marriage" Watch voor

No claims that anyone famous wore it or that it's "ultra rare." Just a nice 48mm Longines Column Wheel Monopusher with very good condition original enamel dial. I am going to watchmaking school in 6 months so as I a side project I plan to clean up the movement and brush the case.

Any red flags watchuseekers? Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat1960 View Post
    I think Roland thinks more in terms of which famous Person wore the watch before, or that it was actually a military watch. Ideally both ...

Ebay Seller lesson one: "Each day a fool rises from his bed."

Regards,
    Tomcat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey - we do watches for fun (well ... most of us). So if you feel right about buying (at that price) and wearing a mariage watch with a beautiful movement everything is okay.

My position regarding this whole mariage thing is somewhat relaxed: the "genuine" watchcase is lost anyway, either because it was melted in or damaged or whatever reason. Were it not, the movement and dial would still reside within, no?

So a mariage watch worn by someone who likes it is the next best thing happening to one of those poor creatures. If he's into watchmaking - even better!

Good luck with watchmaking school!

Regards
    Tomcat
    After all's been said and done, there's a lot more said than done...

Patina: little pieces of history put on old watches and forgotten there by the maker of time

"Miracles?", he asked. "Forget about miracles. Those who walk on water just know where the stepstones are."

"Luxury watches - you acquire the right to take care of them, but they remain the property of their manufacturers."
    (Roland Ranfft)

Now available for your Kindle or Kindle Reader:

Tracks in a Blizzard - A (German) Christmas Ghost Story

Check me out on Facebook! / Visit us on Facebook! / Visit us in our living room!

I can agree with your angle. Other than the hideous fake carbon fiber strap, yes I do enjoy the look. I didn't ask the seller about the original case but the new case brings new life to this beautiful movement so I can enjoy it every day. I'm sure it will look better when I clean it up anyway! Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat1960 View Post
    Hey - we do watches for fun (well ... most of us). So if you feel right about buying (at that price) and wearing a mariage watch with a beautiful movement everything is okay.

My position regarding this whole mariage thing is somewhat relaxed: the "genuine" watchcase is lost anyway, either because it was melted in or damaged or whatever reason. Were it not, the movement and dial would still reside within, no?

So a mariage watch worn by someone who likes it is the next best thing happening to one of those poor creatures. If he's into watchmaking - even better!

Good luck with watchmaking school!

Regards
    Tomcat

Hi there,

Quote Originally Posted by Tourbillioloco View Post
    Okay so I've really narrowed it down to this one....
    O.k., the three watches you linked to in your previous posts are honest offers (but any but bargains). The sellers clearly describe the facts and don't suggest original watches with historical background. But this is more the exception than the rule; most watches of this kind are offered with at least duboius descriptions, and if you want your investment back later, you'll have to offer them the same way.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information