Restoration.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Carl.1
  • 1 Post By Aemachado

Thread: Restoration.

Restoration.

So I recently picked up my 1st vintage watch and I had a couple questions about trying to restore it. Is not a valuable watch by any means and so if I screw anything up or it doesn't work out I won't be Out any real money. My concern is the case has some pitting and I know the goal is to keep the patina But I don't see how that's possible while getting the corrosion under control. Should I just buff the case as little as possible to get rid of corrosion or is there something else that I can do?

As for the other ings I want to do is replace the hands, same style and type, and replace the crystal. Any other advice or tips?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Restoration.

To be honest I would leave that totally as it is, just get the movement serviced .

To me it looks great and I love it, perhaps all I would do is polish the acrylic but that is it.
    Shum likes this.

This is why you shouldn't buy watches with chrome cases as the cost of re chroming them is way to expensive. If a crystal is cracked you buy a new one but if it's only scratched buy some Polywatch and make it shine again. The hands look good for such old hands and is something many people love.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The hands are correct and you should not replace them. The crystal seems to be cracked, so that can be replaced. As @shum mentioned, the value of this watch probably does not justify restoring the case, but if you want to have it re-plated, you can contact replateit.com. I guess it will cost you about $50.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Quote Originally Posted by Carl.1 View Post
    To be honest I would leave that totally as it is, just get the movement serviced .

To me it looks great and I love it, perhaps all I would do is polish the acrylic but that is it.
    You might not be able to see it but there is a crack in the crystal at the bottom. So at a minimum I'll be replacing that

Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    The hands are correct and you should not replace them. The crystal seems to be cracked, so that can be replaced. As @shum mentioned, the value of this watch probably does not justify restoring the case, but if you want to have it re-plated, you can contact replateit.com. I guess it will cost you about $50.
    The pitting does really bother me not just because of the way it looks but I knowbitbwill keep getting worse. Honestly of it is only $50 I'll probably get it replated, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Shum View Post
    This is why you shouldn't buy watches with chrome cases as the cost of re chroming them is way to expensive. If a crystal is cracked you buy a new one but if it's only scratched buy some Polywatch and make it shine again. The hands look good for such old hands and is something many people love.
    I did not relize it was chrome. The crystal is craked so I will replace it and on the suggestions of you and others I'll keep the hands too.
    Shum likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shum View Post
    As for the crystal should I replace it with the same material as the original or would it be ok to use something more modern? I do wanna keep the same domed shape though.

Quote Originally Posted by Aemachado View Post
    As for the crystal should I replace it with the same material as the original or would it be ok to use something more modern? I do wanna keep the same domed shape though.
    Acrylic.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Thread Information