Restoration question

Thread: Restoration question

Restoration question

Hi all,

I recently acquired a vintage WWI Leonidas with shrapnel guard and would like to have it restored. The case, dial, etc. shouldn't need too much work, but the movement isn't running and I have not opened the case to check it because I am concerned about the radium paint on the dial and hands. Since I have not seen the movement, I am a bit worried about being overcharged for repairs that are not needed, about original parts being swapped for lower-grade substitutes, etc. Could anyone suggest a reputable, honest, and competent vintage watch restorer?

Thank you!

Re: Restoration question

It might help to have some pics of the watch. If the caseback opens, you can do that without any huge worries about radium; the main risk is if small flecks come off and are inhaled, and that's not likely if you don't open the front. Also, let us know where you live, and we might be able to point you to a local watchmaker. Otherwise, you might need to mail it to a suitable watchmaker (which is a bit of a risk).
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Thanks for the quick reply! I don't have any pictures of the watch; I will try to take some and post them if I have time after work. A quick Google search, however, yielded a comparable piece (though mine isn't in such great shape):

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

I would be able to take the watch to someone in northern Illinois/Chicago area (possibly also Ohio, Wisconsin, Indiana, and Michigan, if the service is really worth it). Why do you think it would be riskier to mail it? I figured that it might be the safest option if I find a respectable enough workshop that deals specifically in early/WWI wristwatches...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Anyone?

Thread Information