WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Restored My Grandfather's Hamilton

4K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  AccuJohn 
#1 ·
I'm named after a grandfather who died long before I was born. When going through grandma's things after her death, we found an old Hamilton watch that had been presented to him by a group of friends. It was in terrible shape. The crystal was missing, and apparently had been for years because the dial was horribly corroded. The second hand was missing. The movement ran, but there were obvious signs of corrosion there as well.

I finally decided I wanted the old watch restored, and took it to a watchmaker. I really regret not taking a 'before' picture, but here are some 'after' shots.

I'd appreciate any and all information about this particular model of watch and the 982 movement. In poking around the Internet, I've found several other watches with 982 movements, but haven't seen this particular case before.

I should correct that -- any and all information aside from value. I know it was worth what I spent on the restoration to me to have some tangible tie to my namesake. Its market value matters not at all.

Thanks,
Cannon

See less See more
#5 ·
Great job on the restoration!:-! Do your have a pic from before it was sent in for restoration?
No, I don't have a before shot, and I'm kicking myself for not taking one.

That is one sweet movement. :-!
It is pretty slick, isn't it?

Your watch appears to be an "Essex", a 1941 design. We know your grandfather received it in 1942.

The 982 movement is a 19 jewel size 14/0 movement first made in 1935. Production ended in 1951 after 669,600 such movements were made. Serial numbers went from J 1,001 to J 670,600.
Thank you! I found several good photos, and realize now my watchmaker and I both messed up on the strap. Somehow we both overlooked the holes inside the lugs for a typical spring bar installation, and he tracked down a strap that has the end threaded through the lug, and then glued down. Glad it wasn't too expensive as I'll be cutting it off, and getting a proper spring bar strap.

I hate to hotlink someone else's pictures, so look about halfway down this page for photos of two different ways to attach the strap.

I know I said I wasn't interested in current value, but I am curious what it would have cost new.

#4 ·
Your watch appears to be an "Essex", a 1941 design. We know your grandfather received it in 1942.

The 982 movement is a 19 jewel size 14/0 movement first made in 1935. Production ended in 1951 after 669,600 such movements were made. Serial numbers went from J 1,001 to J 670,600.

#11 ·
It looks like the original 980 movement was replaced with this 982 somewhere along the line. The serial number indicates it was made in about the summer of 1946. It looks great for 64 years of age. :-!

#13 ·
Interesting. So what's the difference between the 980 and 982?
980 = 17 Jewels
982 = 19 Jewels (2 cap jewels on the escape wheel)

Probably other stuff as well, such as gold mean-time screws, but I am no Hamilton expert and I am sure someone better informed will be along...

This is such a lovely movement, I have decided I need one. :-! It is on my list.

#14 ·
Hamilton's 982M "Medallion" was the high water mark for Hamilton movements IMO. ;-)

#15 ·
BTW, if you ever want to fit your Hamilton with the period-correct caliber 980, you'll want to find one with a serial number in the range of G300000-G360000. These 980 movements were made in 1941, which is about right for a January 1942 inscription. Personally, I'd rather just keep the 982. :)

#16 ·
BTW, if you ever want to fit your Hamilton with the period-correct caliber 980, you'll want to find one with a serial number in the range of G300000-G360000. These 980 movements were made in 1941, which is about right for a January 1942 inscription. Personally, I'd rather just keep the 982. :)
I appreciate the info, but I think I'll stick with grandpa's 982.

#17 ·
one of the best hamilton's movement ever:-!

#21 ·
Many consider these vintage Hamiltons to be too small to wear. They typically want hockey puck size watches. It is a shame. Happily, that leaves more for the rest of us!

I have three. A Milton (982 movement), a Martin (980), and a Darrell (747). I've always wondered where the model names came from. They all keep amazingly accurate time, and can be serviced (not necessarily restored) for less than $100. Sometimes much less.

They look great as a dressy watch, and are typically considered among the best of American mechanical (hand wind) watches.

Yours looks great!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.