Restored Vintages - regencywatches
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Restored Vintages - regencywatches

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Restored Vintages - regencywatches

Has anyone here seen/bought any of these restored watches from this ebay seller! I'm not much on restored as I like originality better BUT, these look nice in the pictures. Any opinions?? Here's one of thier restored ones.

Bulova Vintage Manual Wind Watch 1957 11ACC Oustanding and RARE | eBay
    Bobby - My original music! Check me out! Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...11CC8CC6093D80

Re: Restored Vintages - regencywatches

Just had a look at what this seller has in offer. Atrocious redials. I can think of better ways to spend 230 bucks- he seems to sell everything for either 220 or 230. I wouldn't consider buying a single watch out of the ones he sells.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

I have no intentions of buying one of these, but I thought the redial looked good, thru my eyes anyway. Lol

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I've seen worse, I think we all did. Whether or not this watch actually had a black dial variant, I don't know, but many "restored" black dials were once of a different (less "desirable") colour- white or silver. The phrase "refinished in black" almost suggests that! A well-concealed euphemism, should you discover that the watch never actually had a black dial, and thus want to return it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Hard to tell, because on my screen the pictures look too dark. Either that or my eyes are taking a "real dump" on me.
    https://mb.nawcc.org/threads/westfield-watch-company.109201/

A friend is truly a prize indeed, others not so much. So if I lead you believe you're in the latter, please read........
    http://markmanson.net/internet

Quote Originally Posted by simpletreasures View Post
    Hard to tell, because on my screen the pictures look too dark. Either that or my eyes are taking a "real dump" on me.
    And this may be the reason my 56 yr old eyes think it looks good!
    simpletreasures likes this.

Why?​ No photo of the movement? And seller is a watchmaker or has a watchmaker at hand? Mmm. Don't like this at all!

I have this model Bulova from 1956. Found it for $6 at a local thrift store. Not it as good condition, buts runs & keeps excellent time. Needs a new crystal & service, But original Black dial. Here are some photos:Name:  bulo-3.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  380.9 KB
    Name:  bulo-5.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  255.1 KBName:  bulo-4.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  405.9 KBName:  bulo-7.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  446.2 KBName:  bulo-6.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  358.5 KBName:  bulo-1.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  297.6 KB
    Akkorn "Time After Time" Zodiac Goldenline Chronometre Automatic, Girard Perregaux, Tag Heuer
    professional, Gruen "Bond 510", Enicar, Bulova, Benrus, Sovereign, Westclox, Elgin Pocket, Cyma pocket Seiko, Gruen, Cyma pocket Seiko

Interesting piece- since it's an original dial, this proves that such a variant has existed. The good question is, whether or not is it a variant worth faking. Rediallers quite often turn watches into more "desirable" versions, as I've said, and black dials weren't exactly a popular thing in the 1950s. So a redial like the one in the original post will always raise my suspicions.
    As to your watch, Akkorn... The case is what's really interesting- dates to 1956, the inscription "GERMANY US ZONE" would suggest that the case was made in the American sector of West Berlin. At least that's one place where it would have been signed as such, I guess that a watch made in West Germany would have been signed W. Germany or just Germany (not much experience with German watches- but these two ways of signing West German products I've seen on LPs that I have). So it's a Swiss movement in a German case, imported into the US.
    Edgar Allan Poe

George Orwell

Erich Maria Remarque

That is original for sure akkorn. I've seen a lot of black redialed watches. I haven't seen any textured or sunburst style watches redialed. Most of those I've seen are original. Most of the black redials Ive seen are smooth dials. I guess because these would be easier to paint than trying to fill in a textured dial. I like the vintage look and the redials are fairly easy to spot as most look brand new until you open the caseback. That is usually where these type sellers stop at resoration.
    bobbee likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information