Returning the favour, sharing the passion ;)

Thread: Returning the favour, sharing the passion ;)

RTB

Returning the favour, sharing the passion ;)

Hello all, thanks for having me.
    I've been lurking for ages when I have a minute spare to gain more knowledge from you all, great forum & was pleasantly surprised to find I could join without giving a blood sample of my first born :) so here I am. Unlucky for you.
    Thought I'd give something back for a start so hopefully here's a couple of shoots of some of our passions.
    I've decided it's time to start getting these up to complete & working standard as possible, with others help when needed, instead of just care-taking them for their trip on into the future. I'm getting old & would like to pass some of them down to my young one in good condition to care-take next. I think you might like some of them. There's a couple I'll share with you later that are really interesting & unusual. but it'll take time with all this one finger typing stuff ;(
    I've had the Longines since my Dad passed it to me at 19 years old, I'm the far side of 50 now :( Boy that was quick :) :)
    It was My Dads uncles & he was wearing it when he had a log enter his truck cab while logging in NZ. a very long time ago. The watch was repairable But not uncle Sheldon I'm sorry to say.
    I've always admired the workmanship of it even as a kid, guess that's where the passion starts. For these people to make these works of art back then more than likely under candle light just inspires respect for the skill involved.
    I've had a go at having it repaired & serviced back in 1980 in Sydney Aust. But a silver plated bezel, plastic lens & wrong hands went on, so I'm going to try & put that right as one of my first of many priorities. It's a Baume as well so well worth my effort as it will out survive me too I expect.
    I will be bothering you all a bit in the near future as I have a few things/watches that my research is going nowhere on, so chances are they'll be the first trouble I cause you all ;)
    Hope you all like the pics.......& that this works, fingers crossed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Returning the favour, sharing the passion ;)

Wow, great post! Many thanks for taking the time to do it.

It looks to be a fine collection and I love your attitude towards the watches. I too try to make every watch I collect better than when I got it. That's why a good watchmaker is one of my best friends... well, my watchmaker and I aren't friends friends. But he too appreciates folks who love watches. And I admire his trade. (I told his son being an accountant - his college major - is not as rewarding a profession as his father's... but the young need to find their own way. LOL)

Take each watch and post them individually in their own thread. That makes forum commentary much easier.

Hone your photography skills... a good macro camera is another collector's best friend

And, again, thanks for the post. These posts make moderating seem worthwhile!
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    Wow, great post! Many thanks for taking the time to do it.
    +1 - that was a very good introduction thread.

Welcome to the forum. For me, its the people that regularly come and post on WUS (vintage/PWs in particular) that makes this forum the best out there. So thanks again from taking the step from Lurker to poster...

You already seem to have a great collection of PWs. If you've been lurking long enough, you may know I know very little about pocket watches.. so cant really add anything, but, as Eeeb suggests, individual threads (more typing ) will help.

All the best
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi and welcome and thanks for taking time and posting, great collection of pocket watches. I am far from a vintage expert but still like to come in here and see vintage pieces, esp the history what people find out

Hi and welcome from me too.
    Enjoy the passion
    Kind Regards
    adam
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Welcome...glad to see you deciding to leave the lurking and join up. You have a great looking collection - I am looking forward to seeing the details...

You'll quickly find yourself in the same cycle that many of us are in; the only practical way to get parts for some of these watches is to buy "donor" watches, but once you get the donor you'll decide it's really nice and you'll want to fix IT up too, so now you need parts for TWO watch...
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    You'll quickly find yourself in the same cycle that many of us are in; the only practical way to get parts for some of these watches is to buy "donor" watches, but once you get the donor you'll decide it's really nice and you'll want to fix IT up too, so now you need parts for TWO watch...
    So true. I recently went through my parts collection for the Elgin 670 automatic movement and realized I could probably build 20 watches with them. I've been buying up job lots of parts for that movement, as it is one of my favorite watches, but I only actually wear one. It's just that parts are so extraordinarily hard otherwise to find!
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

RTB

Name:  Longines 2.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  311.5 KB

Many thanks for the great welcome & advise, I need as much of that as I can get, believe me :)
    Still practicing with the photos too.

I got a good smile out of your comments, I'm already there :)...... Been buying watches & groups for parts/hands (probably the wrong sizes anyway) only to find when they arrive & I do the research on them their to important to brake up ;( Like the two Walthams in the photos I brought for the hands turned out to both be 1 of a run of 99 made in 1881 & 1884 I think it was. Was happy I checked first on the great database that I found the link for on your forum:)
    I brought another group that arrives this week to save one that was an old Thiel alarm pocket watch..........so it continues :) :) :)
    Hope to get better at all of this as time goes on, thanks again.

Thread Information