REVUE G.T. with herbert adler oybin engraving????

Thread: REVUE G.T. with herbert adler oybin engraving????

REVUE G.T. with herbert adler oybin engraving????

Hi,
    I have recently inherited my great grandfather's pocket watch. I'm having trouble finding out much about it, especially a value. Here is the info, if anyone knows anything that will help me-I would appreciate it!!!!

REVUE G.T. pocketwatch
    It has 4 letters stamped on the inside of the watch near the revue gt stamp, they are AFRS.

It has a serial number engraved on the case.
    And the strangest thing, on the outside of the case it has an H with an A.
    The inside of the case has the following engraving, Herbert Adler Oybin.

I can't figure out the Herbert part, was he the owner of the watch?
    I know Oybin is a city in Germany.

I also know my great grandfather came off of the boat from Austria-Hungary. I actually have a picture of him when he got here.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks so much,
    Trisa

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: REVUE G.T. with herbert adler oybin engraving????

Welcome to the forum, hope we can help you. In order to do so, we will need pictures of the watch and preferably also the movement. As for the AFRS, this means nothing - it indicates the way to push the lever to make the watch go faster (Avant - Fast) or slower (Retard - Slow) in French or English respectively. I suspect that the "HA" on the outside was engraved after the watch was bought, i.e. by the owner and not by the watch company Revue. This was a not uncommon form or personalization in the older days, particularly for pocket watches. The serial number on the case is practically not worth anything - the case was probably bought by Revue from independent sources (even nowadays, a lot of high-class companies buy in dials and/or hands and/or cases). Sometimes the case number can give a lead in identifying the precise date of manufacture but only if the hallmark of the case maker can be identified. In any case, a movement serial number is often better, particularly if the maker still exists and has kept good records.

From the surprise in your post, I take it that your grandfather wasn't Herbert Adler. He may well have got the watch from Herbert Adler - I won't rule out the possibility that the jeweller who sold the watch was located in Oybin, was called that and had his stock personalized in that way but a more common way would be a name on the dial (e.g. you sometimes see watches marked both "Patek Philippe" and "Tiffany" on the dial).

Hartmut Richter

I agree with Hartmut. We may be able to further identify the watch with with some photos of the dial case and movement.
    GT stands for Gedeon Thommen who started the Revue Thommen company in 1853. Here is some more information:
    http://www.revue-thommen.ch/tradition.htm

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi, here are pictures of the watch...I hope you can tell me something about it....thanks
    Well, do either of you have an email address I can send them to? My attachments keep failing.....

You must have a relatively small file size (jpg less than 250 KB, width around 750 pixels) for it to work. Then in advanced mode click on the Manage Attachments button, browse to your file and upload it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Thread Information