Revue Thommen

Thread: Revue Thommen

Revue Thommen

Hello there.

Pictures of the watch here: REVUE THOMMEN.

Sorry if this is not a vintage, but it's exactly my question: from what period is the watch? Also, do you think it can be a replica?

Thank you for your time.

P.S. Is Revue Thommen considered a high-end brand?

Re: Revue Thommen

No, there're moderate price. Most likely there're most well known line was
    the Airspeed, a great looking watch. They once had an aircraft clock, the
    16006.3117. I call it a Bell & Ross without a strap.

As far as period I believe this watch is fairly recent. Skeltonized watches are mostly of recent vintage.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Omega Forum Moderator emmanuelgoldstein's Avatar

The watch in the image ref. no. 5422001, the case is gold plated 10 microns, mineral glass, water resistant 30 meters. It is a GT 54 manufacture movement 11,1/2, oscillations 19'800, 22 jewels, power reserve 42 hours. The movement in this watch first appeared in 2004 I believe.
    Last edited by emmanuelgoldstein; May 27th, 2010 at 20:32.
    “Education is the inculcation of the incomprehensible into the indifferent by the incompetent”

-- John Maynard Keynes

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

According to Ranfft, the movement actually appeared in 1968:

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...swk&Revue_GT54

You may be correct that the skeletized version appeard much later, but the movement has been around as the MSR T54 for rather longer. Which is another point: the movement is marked "MSR T54". As such, it ought to be older and may even be recent vintage (=seventies).

If it needs clarification: Revue Thommen united with Vulcain, Phenix and Buser to form the "Manufactures Suisse Reunies" (M.S.R.) in the sixties. This seems to have become a sort of one-company show after the quartz crisis (I certainly have never seen watches form ca. 1980-2000 with Vulcain, Phenix or Buser on the dial) and was liquidated in 2002. Nowadays, RT are a separate company again and Vulcain have been segmented out (meaning that the rights to their name have been bought out) and the company resurrected. Its modern reputation rests largely on the famous "Cricket" movement which is built again, virtually unchanged from the late forties version in the base form.

Hartmut Richter

Omega Forum Moderator emmanuelgoldstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    According to Ranfft, the movement actually appeared in 1968:

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...swk&Revue_GT54

You may be correct that the skeletized version appeard much later, but the movement has been around as the MSR T54 for rather longer. Which is another point: the movement is marked "MSR T54". As such, it ought to be older and may even be recent vintage (=seventies).

If it needs clarification: Revue Thommen united with Vulcain, Phenix and Buser to form the "Manufactures Suisse Reunies" (M.S.R.) in the sixties. This seems to have become a sort of one-company show after the quartz crisis (I certainly have never seen watches form ca. 1980-2000 with Vulcain, Phenix or Buser on the dial) and was liquidated in 2002. Nowadays, RT are a separate company again and Vulcain have been segmented out (meaning that the rights to their name have been bought out) and the company resurrected. Its modern reputation rests largely on the famous "Cricket" movement which is built again, virtually unchanged from the late forties version in the base form.

Hartmut Richter
    The MSR states it is 18 jewels on Dr. Ranfft's site for the MSR-T54. However the movement states it is 22 jewels. I guess that owes to my confusion. That you for the further clarification.
    “Education is the inculcation of the incomprehensible into the indifferent by the incompetent”

-- John Maynard Keynes

Thread Information