Ritex De Luxe Hydrostar (by Edox) - Restoration & Information

Thread: Ritex De Luxe Hydrostar (by Edox) - Restoration & Information

Ritex De Luxe Hydrostar (by Edox) - Restoration & Information

Hi Folks,

I don't know if this is the correct forum for discussion.

I was given the above watch in 1972 by my father. I believe that he handed it down to me after acquiring it in the mid 1960's.

I wore it as a young teenager in the late 1970's when I received a new Seiko Quartz for my 18th birthday.

I resurrected it in the early 2000's for a period and had some work done on it that period, when the winding mechanism became stuck.

Since then it has been stored and I am now looking to see if I can have it restored.

It is difficult to get much information. It seems that Ritex was most recently a brand owned by Edox, who I believe are themselves now defunct.

I would be very grateful for information on the company and the watch. I don't believe it has much value, aside from sentiment but nonetheless would like to honour my late father by preserving it for my own son.

I also would be grateful for suggestions as to who I could approach to restore it. I am based in Australia.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Rgds,
    John
    Name:  8b5098fa4b7e26688b7557b51b693fbc.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  76.6 KBName:  741eb427d2a4fc67147aa7695ba4f56a.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  79.0 KBName:  b3281a4db15d5847c3dcda1286ecf173.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  137.6 KB

Re: Ritex De Luxe Hydrostar (by Edox) - Restoration & Information

Quote Originally Posted by Smeddles View Post
    Hi Folks,

I don't know if this is the correct forum for discussion.

I was given the above watch in 1972 by my father. I believe that he handed it down to me after acquiring it in the mid 1960's.

I wore it as a young teenager in the late 1970's when I received a new Seiko Quartz for my 18th birthday.

I resurrected it in the early 2000's for a period and had some work done on it that period, when the winding mechanism became stuck.

Since then it has been stored and I am now looking to see if I can have it restored.

It is difficult to get much information. It seems that Ritex was most recently a brand owned by Edox, who I believe are themselves now defunct.

I would be very grateful for information on the company and the watch. I don't believe it has much value, aside from sentiment but nonetheless would like to honour my late father by preserving it for my own son.

I also would be grateful for suggestions as to who I could approach to restore it. I am based in Australia.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Rgds,
    John
    Name:  8b5098fa4b7e26688b7557b51b693fbc.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  76.6 KBName:  741eb427d2a4fc67147aa7695ba4f56a.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  79.0 KBName:  b3281a4db15d5847c3dcda1286ecf173.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  137.6 KB
    Hi John,

Mikrolisk database shows the name was first registered by:

Era Watch Co. Ltd. / C. Ruefli-Flury & Cie. SA Uhren, Uhrenteile; Biel, Schweiz; registriert am 13.8.1936
    Ritex Watch Co. / Harry Shrangle Import, Kleinuhren; New York, USA; registriert am 15.3.1949 and by Edox in
    Montres Edox et Vista SA Les Genevez, Schweiz; registriert am 8.8.1976

That seem to suggest that your watch was made sometime after 1976 though it looks more like 1960's watch?
    It apears Ritex watches, at the time, were quite popular in Australia perhaps due to being moderately priced?
    so easily affordable to the average worker. Recently, a Ritex Edox Hydrostar men's wrist sold for about AU$16.00 with only one
    bidder. Since that watch contained cal ST1686 movement ( (base AS1686) it fair to speculate yours should have the same movement inside.
    You can can see the details of the movement here: bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Standard 1686 (AS 1686).

As to the restortion - since the Ritex watches are not really of a high value "restoring' one would be cost prohibitive unless
    of extreme sentimental value (perhaps if in solid gold)

Hope this helps a bit.

Good Morning,
    I would like to say a few words about the watch case.
    It seems to be the product of EPSA (Ervin Piquerez S.A.) - and those are usually engraved with the year of production on the inside of the case back.
    It is the gold plated "Compressor" case with the characteristic "checkered" crown pattern.

It's a pity but I can't help with the tips for the restoration - If I would be You I would do the restoration and keep it in the family.

Regards,
    Armian
    "Life is a path, Death a destination."

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by armian View Post
    Good Morning,
    I would like to say a few words about the watch case.
    It seems to be the product of EPSA (Ervin Piquerez S.A.) - and those are usually engraved with the year of production on the inside of the case back.
    It is the gold plated "Compressor" case with the characteristic "checkered" crown pattern.

It's a pity but I can't help with the tips for the restoration - If I would be You I would do the restoration and keep it in the family.

Regards,
    Armian
    Thanks Armian, that is a useful information. The watch case you're describing is a truly dive/compressor case. However, regarding this particular watch - I think the words "Hydrostar & Super Waterproof" were loosely used by Edox to describe this particular watch. Mind you Edox is not the only one to employ such tactics. This immediately reminds me similar ploy with jewel count, example - Waltham 100j watch! I'm doubtful that this watch, which appears to have a snap on back, would be able to be used for anything but hand washing. This aside from the fact it's a good looking vintage watch in need of a little TLC.

I did mention the case and the fact of dating them on inner part of the case back to clarify the disscusion about the possible age of the watch.
    It is not always truth with what You said about the "anything but hand washing" - I have more than 10 "Compressor" type 1 cased watches and they are good enough for simple swimming in the river etc. It all depends on the state of the particular case, if the glass or crown was replaced etc - It can affect the waterproof feature.

Compressor case back's are signed "Extra Waterproof", "Waterproof" and "Super Waterproof" - all depends who used them and what kind of advertising strategy was aimed.

All Best,
    Armian
    Last edited by armian; October 30th, 2018 at 10:16.
    "Life is a path, Death a destination."

Quote Originally Posted by armian View Post
    I did mention the case and the fact of dating them on inner part of the case back to clarify the disscusion about the possible age of the watch.
    It is not always truth with what You said about the "anything but hand washing" - I have more than 10 "Compressor" type 1 cased watches and they are good enough for simple swimming in the river etc. It all depends on the state of the particular case, if the glass or crown was replaced etc - It can affect the waterproof feature.

Compressor case back's are signed "Extra Waterproof", "Waterproof" and "Super Waterproof" - all depends who used them and what kind of advertising strategy was aimed.

All Best,
    Armian
    Yes, the last bit is particularly true! Caveat emptor!

Thread Information