Roamer Anfibio: How do you get to the movement?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sparcster

Thread: Roamer Anfibio: How do you get to the movement?

Roamer Anfibio: How do you get to the movement?

Evenind Gents,

Had a Roamer Anfibio arrive today along with a very nice looking 60s Eterna-Matic.

The Roamer:

Wish I had taken some pics before I had cleaned it... case/crystal were in a state! I am guessing the watch dates from the 60s.. Now I know a movement shot will help date the watch... to the end, how do you get to it?

I can take the s/s case back out of the gold case. The movement is housed within the s/s case back and looks like you need to remove the stem to take the movement out... is it a 2 part stem??
    Grant Rayne likes this.
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

Re: Roamer Anfibio: How do you get to the movement?

It is almost certainly an MST401.

The earliest it could have been made was 1966 (logo), take your pick of 66, 67, 68. The hands don't really look right, they should have lume - and would normally let me get a more accurate date.

There is no need to open it up if you just want to play tourist.

You remove the inside case by placing your thumbs on the edge of the crystal, and your index fingers under the lugs. Press alternatively on one side of the crystal and then the other and the inside case will work its way out. Be sure to do this over something soft just in case you loose control and drop/pop it out unexpectedly.

You can remove the crown and stem by pulling it with your fingers, with the bezel/case off - this takes a little guts. It is easier to use a pair of sidecutters if it is tight - for leverage, not cutting! Make sure they have a generous ramp on the inside. With the bezel/case on, pull the stem out into the setting position. You can cover the side and crown with paper if you are worried about the cutters marring the case. Put the cutters under the stem and close slightly - It should take only the slightest pressure to pop the stem apart. Then you can remove the crystal, dial retaining ring. Sometimes the retaining ring is tight, so using a thumb nail, lift the edge slightly, and then move your thumb nail around the edge of the ring to lift it evenly. Don't just lever from one place. If you use a knife you run the risk of slipping and damaging the dial. Turn it over and the movement will drop out. Use a lint free cloth to catch it. It is quite possible to take these apart with no tools at all!

It is also much easier than I have made it sound. I'll make a video some day.

I'll repeat though - there is no need to open it up if you just want to play tourist. You can see the movement on my site or Rolands.
    Last edited by trim; May 5th, 2011 at 21:58.

Hi Trim,

Thanks for the info... being honest.. I was planning on 'playing Tourist' But I will heed your advice and leave it alone!

I had already got to this position and did not want to pull the stem/crown out until I knew it was 2 part...

I had to get to this stage, as the dial retaining ring had be put back wrong/off centre... and I could not leave it like that!

As I will be selling it in the near future, its always nice to pic the movement... but i think i will leave this one... its only gained a couple of seconds over the day so I dont need to go near the movement!

As for the hand? they are not right? I am only guessing, if these have been changed, it must have been a while ago... the amount of dirt and grime build up, I doubt the back has been off in a while! Its nice to have the original signed crystal... even though it was scratched to death!

Thanks again Trim... I will leave it be!
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It is possible the hands are original, but it is unusual to have lume to the dial (or in this case the retaining ring) and none on the hands. Who can tell what has happened in 40 odd years. I think they suit it, and it doesn't really matter. The crystal is a bonus - it is a nice watch.

Since you're planning to sell it, and as you have got it that far, you may as well get the movement shot. That's not playing tourist. You will get a better return on sale.

K.

Well... that was a bit scary!!

First time I have done this... taken lots of pics so I never need to do that again!

Movement signed MST424, 15 jewel. As the inside of the case is signed 155424... does this relate to the movement... as it ends 424?

Thanks again Trim!

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Yes, the case number relates to the movement number. The 155 is the case style, for crystals, crowns, stems etc.

Well, I am really REALLY surprised. That is the first time I've seen a 424 in an Anfibio. I have a similar sub second model and similar period with a 401. Always something new to learn in this hobby.

It is a useful data point for me, so I'm glad you did it, thanks

No need to thank me.. thank you for your advice... I would not have chanced the movement shot without your help! It may also help with the sale!

As for a date.. still late 60s I guess!

Thanks again!

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

PLUS,

you are right about the lume... seeing the Anfibio on the above link, I thought the hand looked similar... if you take a second look at my pics... you can just make out the groove where the lume should be... its either been blacked in? or completely fallen out?

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Ok, I don't recall seeing that watch (Roland) before... Strange, I must have missed it somehow.

Anyway, looks like mine must be one of the last of the 401s and yours pretty much one of the first using the 424. I need to go and have a look again at Miruis's sport collection, because this is hinting that 401 production stopped around 1966-67, but I seem to recall he has some earlier sports with a 424. None-the-less, perhaps we have stumbled across some solid dates for the calibre dating table.

Anyway, my date range for yours is correct, the logo wasn't trademarked until late in 1966 and yours is a couple of years earlier than the one Roland lists - his is probably '68-'69 ish, it has the more modern back, lugs and treatment of the dial ring.

I see now, your grooves. Hard to see in the original photos, and I didn't look that closely at the following set where it is easier to see. I guess someone got carried away with their cleaning at some point.
    Last edited by trim; May 6th, 2011 at 00:10.

Thread Information