• 1 Post By Old_Tractor
  • 1 Post By balaton
  • 1 Post By frenchtreasure
  • 1 Post By simpletreasures
  • 9 Post By Border-Reiver
  • 3 Post By parrotandpitbull

Thread: ROAMER JACKPOT!!!

ROAMER JACKPOT!!!

I was looking for another Roamer LimeLight watch from the 1960 in top condition. My other one (practically unused before) was recently serviced and is showing superior readings on the timegrapher – a straight single line, +1 sec/day, 251 degrees amplitude, 0.0 m/s beat error. What’s fascinating me is the effectiveness of the automatic winding (movement MST – Roamer cal. 479 = ETA 2622), that’s why the crown can be so far in, making it almost impossible to make some pre-winding. But you don’t need that, just take it out of the box and wear it.

And now, I found another one, absolutely pristine, never worn and still in the original jeweler’s box, recently discovered in storage, with original band and original Lanco buckle.

Spritzer & Fuhrmann are famous jewelers and you can find some of their items at leading auction houses. Founded in 1929, they later had their base at Curacao in the Netherlands Antilles, to where they immigrated, and then they spread out to the other islands.

They began with a watch repair and -sales business and later opened another shop for jewelry. During WWII, there business was growing due to US servicemen stationed there. Later, another boost came from the cruise industry in the 1950s and 1960s. When the great ocean liners began flocking in, passengers were lured to the island for good bargains on perfumes, liquor, textiles and watches and jewelry. People were standing in long lines before the prestigious shops like Spritzer & Fuhrmann, renowned for quality, top service and exceptional guarantees. Only the very best was sold.

So, its up to speculation why this watch never went onto someone’s wrist, perhaps well hidden from customs and forgotten, whatever…

It arrived today after a trip of thousands of miles and, of course, it’s running after a lot of shaking during that time (+2 secs/day on the timegrapher), beat error 0.1 m/s, but presently with a relatively low amplitude (dried in oils of course).

I might leave it as it is and not wear it. It will stay pristine or NOS and will not get worse and someone at a later stage can have the service done, or I give it to my watchmaker for a service, but I already have too many serviced watches which I hardly wear.

Last image: Opening party of the first Spritzer & Fuhrmann store at Saba island in 1962.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Border-Reiver; May 17th, 2019 at 09:06.

Re: ROAMER JACKPOT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Border-Reiver View Post
    I was looking for another Roamer LimeLight watch from the 1960 in top condition. My other one (practically unused before) was recently serviced and is showing superior readings on the timegrapher – a straight single line, +1 sec/day, 251 degrees amplitude, 0.0 m/s beat error. What’s fascinating me is the effectiveness of the automatic winding (movement MST – Roamer cal. 479 = ETA 2622), that’s why the crown can be so far in, making it almost impossible to make some pre-winding. But you don’t need that, just take it out of the box and wear it.

And now, if found another one, absolutely pristine, never worn and still in the original jeweler’s box, recently discovered in storage, with original band and original Lanco buckle.

Spritzer & Fuhrmann are famous jewelers and you can find some of their items at leading auction houses. Founded in 1929, they later had their base at Curacao in the Netherlands Antilles, to where they immigrated, and then they spread out to the other islands.

They began with a watch repair and -sales business and later opened another shop for jewelry. During WWII, there business was growing due to US servicemen stationed there. Later, another boost came from the cruise industry in the 1950s and 1960s. When the great ocean liners began flocking in, passengers were lured to the island for good bargains on perfumes, liquor, textiles and watches and jewelry. People were standing in long lines before the prestigious shops like Spritzer & Fuhrmann, renowned for quality, top service and exceptional guarantees. Only the very best was sold.

So, its up to speculation why this watch never went onto someone’s wrist, perhaps well hidden from customs and forgotten, whatever…

It arrived today after a trip of thousands of miles and, of course, it’s running after a lot of shaking during that time (+2 secs/day on the timegrapher), beat error 0.1 m/s, but presently with a relatively low amplitude (dried in oils of course).

I might leave it as it is and not wear it. It will stay pristine or NOS and will not get worse and someone at a later stage can have the service done, or I give it to my watchmaker for a service, but I already have too many serviced watches which I hardly wear.

Last image: Opening party of the first Spritzer & Fuhrmann store at Saba island in 1962.
    Cool story! It makes you wonder what happens to things like this that are found in pristine condition decades later. Like this 1964 Beetle with 23 miles:
    https://www.thedrive.com/news/24054/...illion-dollars
    Border-Reiver likes this.

I'm getting the feeling that you're slightly pleased with this. And why not?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Nice find Border,
    I managed to bag one of 4 eBay lots of N.O.S Roamer dials recently-I got out bid on the others :o(
    I`ll be using myself fairly soon but the others are potentially for future watches.
    I`ll add a few pics to this post tomorrow.
    If any other members bagged some of the other lots and are after new dials they need for particular models feel free to PM me as I may be up for some mutual swaps/trades for any replacements I`m after.

This is one very beautiful watch.
    It's the reason why I don't buy watches in NOS condition (anymore). Can't persuade myself to wear them, so they are just gathering dust...

What's a Roamer?

Just kidding....congrats!
    A friend is truly a prize indeed, others not so much. So if I lead you believe you're in the latter, please read........
    http://markmanson.net/internet

Here is a picture of the pair I have now:
    Attached Images Attached Images

On the pristine VW front. Years ago I bought a 1957 Mercedes SL 160 in immaculate condition (more of an estate run around than a luxury car) with 6000 miles on it for 6 grand. It was my dream car. For some reason the car Id always wanted. Maybe Tintin had something to do with it. What I had not counted on, was when you drive a vintage car you are constantly stared at. You feel like your in a fish bowl. Not my scene at all. These cars if attended to will last a million miles. No lie. Mercedes was at the time advertising the same model on TV ads as the million mile model. ( Sorry no pics ....pre computer and a fire in my studio took care of the few photos I had. ) In any case, now Im wondering wheres my million dollars? I realize it had thousands of miles on it, but only six and a few more from me. Maybe I didnt market it right, but no twitter, facebook et al to spread the word. I did ultimately double my money. Now its just a glorious memory. Mods if this is too off point please wipe it away.
    Thanks for your indulgence folks. P&P

Thread Information