Roamer Rotodate

Thread: Roamer Rotodate

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Roamer Rotodate

Hi Gents,

Todays offering, a 60s (?) Roamer Rotodate... not in the best of condition.. but not bad!

Managed to get to the movement on this one, after getting advice on the last - thanks trim!

Was slightly concerned when seeing the movement, as the rotor was a different colour.. but from doing a quick search, I see this is not out of the ordinary... what would I do without Roland!!

bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: MST 452 (Felsa 4007)

The sad thing is, the original crystal (other than the scratches I can clean out) has a crack between 10 and 11. I dont know how easy it is going to be to get a replacement crystal with date magnification!!
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

Re: Roamer Rotodate

Well, as you see on Roland's page - I have the same one. Made up until about 1963 or so when the MST 436 movement was finally available.

As for the crystal, you can try Cousins, but most likely you will need to get a plain one. Make sure you used the case number to order it.

The vast majority of Roamer Autos have a such a finish to the rotor. You can see it best on this page of mine.

Roamer were quite unusual in offering gold markers/hands in stainless and chrome cases in this time period. They did it from the 1940s through to about '63 when this model was replaced with the cal. 436 rotodates.
    Last edited by trim; May 12th, 2011 at 23:37.

Cheers trim.

Your site is very well made and slick!

I see what you mean about the rotor... there is more than 1 with the colour variation! 1 comment on the site. You describe the 452 as having 'quickset date'. I could be wrong, but I see 'quickset' as having a stem/crown arrangement that allows instant adjustment of the date... not having to go back/forth between 9 and 12?

I am surprised to hear the watch is that early... I would have guessed later 60s... but that would have been a guess!

Thanks again for the info!
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Good catch on the quickset. Feedback/corrections are a great help.

The data sheet actually states 'quick date setting', which I agree is different. I've fixed it. My fingers obviously had a mind of their own that day.

As for age, the change over date is no known with 100% certainty, but here is a 1962 add for you to enjoy. You will see it is listed in the advert as a 441, but the 452 was a direct replacement when Felsa changed from a 4002 to the almost identical 4007. The new replacement 436 was definitely on the market by 1964 and some suggestions make it 1963, so that is your approximate time period. The 452 was not around for long - I don't think they bothered to update their advertising. My 441 by the way is identical is every way to your 452, my 452 is much more funky however

Last edited by trim; May 13th, 2011 at 00:55.

Here is my one the same (but a 441), it is in my project box and needs to be made beautiful (and a crown).

Oh by the way, signed crystal but no magnifier.

Cheers trim, very interesting and like the advert!

I'm quite impressed with case design on these early roamers! I would guess these were quite good a resisting water compared to many of the other brands that claimed to be waterproof! I also like the slight variation on the lug design... Nothing overly special, but has a bit more to them than the standard straight lugs!

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Quote Originally Posted by trim View Post
    Here is my one the same (but a 441), it is in my project box and needs to be made beautiful (and a crown).

Oh by the way, signed crystal but no magnifier.
    You were not joking... Looks exactly the same! Between our 2, we have a perfect watch!

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Quote Originally Posted by Sparcster View Post
    I'm quite impressed with case design on these early roamers! I would guess these were quite good a resisting water compared to many of the other brands that claimed to be waterproof!
    Oh yes, it was a big deal for them. Here is another add, earlier model - but pushing the same patented waterproof design. Hopefully you can read it, I don't have a good copy.

Just noticed something a little spooky...

I paid exactly the same price as advertised in 60s... Going by your top advert!

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Quote Originally Posted by trim View Post

That's how all 200m watches should tested... Strapped to a sub...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information