Rolex bubble no back - info help
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Rolex bubble no back - info help

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Rolex bubble no back - info help

Hi,

Doe anyone know the model for this watch? There are no model stamp and it is missing the original case back. It also has a damaged balance shaft.

Name:  20190618_231925.JPG
Views: 65
Size:  328.5 KB

Name:  20190619_204115.JPG
Views: 76
Size:  323.3 KB

Name:  20190619_203958.JPG
Views: 67
Size:  332.0 KB

Name:  20190618_231754.JPG
Views: 69
Size:  152.9 KB

Name:  20190618_231817.JPG
Views: 67
Size:  161.4 KB
    Name:  20190618_231332.JPG
Views: 70
Size:  101.1 KB

Any info on the watch would be appreciated, I would like to know the model so i can look for a case back. I haven't seen a manual winding bubbleback, do they come manual or is this an incorrect movement for the case? Also any pointers on where to get a replacement balance shaft would be great. Can/should the balance shaft be repaired? Sorry for all the questions, i'm new to watch repairs.

Thanks,
    Thuc

Re: Rolex bubble no back - info help

What you're looking at is a parts donor watch at best. Broken balance staff, missing back, and the entire auto winding module (rotor assembly) is missing. Oh, and the dial is an old and poorly done repaint job.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Were the early autos a 710 with an added automatic module and a different ratchet wheel?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by MoreWatches View Post
    Were the early autos a 710 with an added automatic module and a different ratchet wheel?
    The 700 and 710 were larger movements, at 10.5 lignes. This thing is a 11.5''' cal. 630, which is a 620 with an indirectly driven sweep second. The base calibre is the hand-wound 600 (9.75''').
    Here it is:
    bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Rolex 630
    As you can see, it's a 600 with an extended baseplate, with the auto winding module mounted right on the top of a basic hand-wound movement. Obviously, the other difference would have been the internal structure of the mainspring barrel.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Thanks for the info on the movement cal. I don't know much about these watches (or any really) but the watch looks complete just missing the correct case back. What was on there was a non rolex case back. The phone photos are terrible at showing the details but the dial if repainted must have been done some time ago. There are lots of crack marks on the clear coat at a certain light angles. The dial lume has burnt through at least the paint layer and it looks like it was non operational for some time stuck at 11:25 from what i assume are lume burn marks? The balance staff is not broken just slightly bent and I'll make an attempt to straighten it over this weekend. The staff pivot is hair thin, needs steady hands hopefully i won't break it. A good clean and i think she should run, fingers cross :)

Has anyone have or seen a manual wind bubble back? do they exist or are all bubble backs automatic?

Quote Originally Posted by mkws View Post
    \
    As you can see, it's a 600 with an extended baseplate, with the auto winding module mounted right on the top of a basic hand-wound movement. Obviously, the other difference would have been the internal structure of the mainspring barrel.
    Thanks, the ranfft link really shows the details in the photos that show the automatic module being removed in steps - rotor, then module. I see how the OP's watch was stripped of it's original module and then adapted to be a manual. It was obviously originally an automatic.

I know I'm not ready but I really want to work on one of the 630 autos just to see it for myself!

Quote Originally Posted by mkws View Post
    The 700 and 710 were larger movements, at 10.5 lignes. This thing is a 11.5''' cal. 630, which is a 620 with an indirectly driven sweep second. The base calibre is the hand-wound 600 (9.75''').
    Here it is:

Mainspring barrel
    Name:  20190621_225800.JPG
Views: 24
Size:  364.9 KB
    Name:  20190621_225707.JPG
Views: 26
Size:  401.3 KB
    Name:  20190621_225439.JPG
Views: 22
Size:  367.9 KB

Does that mean that it is a manual and was not originally an auto?

Quote Originally Posted by babudo View Post
    Mainspring barrel
    Name:  20190621_225800.JPG
Views: 24
Size:  364.9 KB
    Name:  20190621_225707.JPG
Views: 26
Size:  401.3 KB
    Name:  20190621_225439.JPG
Size:  367.9 KB

Does that mean that it is a manual and was not originally an auto?
    No, it is an auto (well, was, as the module is missing), based on a hand-winder. The mainspring barrel is different in both - as it usually is in autos and hand-winders. A hand-wound movement will have a certain limit to which you can wind it, and you simply won't be able to turn the barrel further. In an auto, when the mainspring is fully wound, the bridle will slip to the next position (due to the altered structure of the barrel) - otherwise, the constant movement of the rotor would simply cause damage either to the entire auto winding assembly, or to the mainspring.
    Edgar Allan Poe

George Orwell

Erich Maria Remarque

So this mainspring assembly is manual wound right? and the suggestion is that this was an auto and someone had swapped out the mainspring assembly and the manual winder due to the missing auto module and not that it hadn't been converted to an auto in the first place? I've only been playing with watches for a few months so everything is new :)

I did manage some time in between taxiing kids to clean movement a little, straighten the staff and put it all back..

Name:  20190621_230535.JPG
Size:  409.8 KB

Name:  20190622_220621.JPG
Views: 20
Size:  219.6 KB
    A couple of light strokes of the tweezer and she looked straight enough

buy some time for the mate to look for a replacement staff or look for the auto conversion... and a proper case back :).
    Von170 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information