Rolex cal 600 (?)

Thread: Rolex cal 600 (?)

Rolex cal 600 (?)

Hi all
    A friend's girlfriend has asked me to help her sell her vintage Rolex. It's quite nice, 9K, guilloché face in good shape and pretty hands.
    Looking at Ranfft, I feel that this is a Rolex cal 600 (Alpina 819, Gruen 819); however, there's no sub seconds, bridges are a bit different (and I don't fancy taking the dial off…). In your collective wisdom, is this likely to be correct? With the shock device shown, ca 1930?
    The Poincons de Maitre number within (as shown) is clearly marked as 136; however, my list doesn't show a maker for this symbol and number (if it were just the hammer head alone, it would be 136 C.R. Spillmann SA). So although it's the hammer with the handle instead, is it still a Spillman case?
    Any other thoughts on it? (Needs a service, as you can see!)
    Thanks all.

Name:  _MDH3143.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  198.7 KBName:  _MDH3145.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  235.7 KBName:  _MDH3147.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  208.3 KB

Re: Rolex cal 600 (?)

A further question: there seems to be no serial number or calibre marking on the movement itself. Is the serial number on the case back (28815) therefore the serial number for the movement (& case, too)? This is not always the case with other watch companies; in which case, would this date the watch to 1928?

Thanks, once again.

Hi Habitant
    Early Rolex's never had model numbers or serial numbers. Best way on dating is style and if gold or silver case.

I think yours a Rebberg hunter movement. I think surely no shock device and more like 1915/6 to 1925s.

My feeling incorrect/replacement hands and crown.
    Dial re-worked? Not sure on that, as I do not think they put the 'crown' logo on that early

The case is gold
    Poincon de Maitre 136 with hammer head is Spillman.
    We have no explanation to Hammer head with handle and only two members. It was expired in 1966.
    I think we can presume your case was made by Spillman.
    adam
    Last edited by HOROLOGIST007; August 4th, 2014 at 19:37.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks, Adam. By interesting coincidence, her family is Benson, as in JW Benson – but she hates gold and want rid of it for that reason.
    Last edited by Habitant; August 4th, 2014 at 20:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Habitant View Post
    Thanks, Adam. By interesting coincidence, her family is Benson, as in JW Benson – but she hates gold and want rid of it for that reason.
    Pleasure. I was trying to narrow down date based on case numbers, but ran out of time.
    but somewhere between 1916 and 1924 is my estimate.
    i like it.
    i have similar pictured watches in my Rolex books and will try to scan and post

adam
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    Adam

I see what you mean - I hadn't known about Rebberg. Here's a picture I found on the internet of something similar, from a 'nurse's watch.' And I hadn't noticed the lack of shock device… Thanks again

Name:  44_rebberg---movement-back.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  113.8 KB

Surely a Rebberg movement made by Aegler, who ultimately made all Rolex's movements.

Rebberg was the street name of Aegler factory. I think yours will be the 9 .75 size hunter 15 jewel movement.
    i can post an exact picture of your watch.

and
    Adam

Thread Information