Rolex Pocket Watch

Thread: Rolex Pocket Watch

Rolex Pocket Watch

I posted a pic of this earlier this week, and thought that since it presented an unusual problem, I would share the information I gained with the forum in case it may help someone else.

I picked up this Rolex pocket watch for a very reasonable price around 7 years ago. The only thing wrong with it was that it was missing a crown. I work on my own watches, so I didn’t think it would be a big problem to replace the crown.

Name:  rolexpw01.jpg
Views: 4705
Size:  89.1 KB

Name:  rolexpw02.jpg
Views: 2956
Size:  100.8 KB

I figured there could only be two ways the stem/crown configuration worked.

1. The stem/crown is part of the case, and the movement just falls out of the case.
    2. The stem/crown is not part of the case, so there should be a screw to release it.

But when you look at the back of the movement, you will notice that there is no screw to release the stem! Now what? Since there was no crown on the stem when I bought it, I could remove the watch from the case, but if I was to replace the crown, I would need to know how the stem/crown was meant to be removed so I could service the watch and put it back together now and in the future.

I spent a few years looking for information by emailing folks all over the world that had similar watches with no luck. Finally, after around 3 years, I contacted someone at a Rolex service center who had the answer! On this watch, to remove it from the case, you first need to remove the dial.

After removing the case screws, you need to pull the winding stem out to the first stop. Then the watch will be loose enough to tilt it forward (out of the case) so you can access the dial screws. The screws are positioned more towards the side of the movement (not the usual one screw near the “11” and one near the “5”). After removing the dial, there is a detent screw that holds the stem in place. Who knew? When you loosen that screw, you can then remove the stem and pull the movement out of the case.

A bit tricky. I had a crown waiting till I got that information. After overhauling the movement, and replacing the crown, I now had a really killer pocket watch. It’s one my favorite watches, and can be found in my pocket at every NAWCC show.

Hope that information helps someone else that may have a similar problem.

Cheers,
    Ron

Re: Rolex Pocket Watch

Wow, not the most intuitive idea! Also waiting so many years - incredible patience. Lovely thing it is too.

If that dial is the original that came with the watch, it's in stellar condition.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It's a beautiful, clean, understated pocketwatch.

...How unlike half the stuff Rolex produces today.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Gotta love the detail. Thanks for the excellent information to reference.

Thanks guys. The dial is the one that was on the watch when I bought it. A friend of mine that knows more about these things told me that the James Walker LTD was a store in London. The hallmarks date the watch to 1924. That may be around the time that Rolex started putting their name on dials. Ron

Quote Originally Posted by RonD. View Post
    Thanks guys. The dial is the one that was on the watch when I bought it. A friend of mine that knows more about these things told me that the James Walker LTD was a store in London. The hallmarks date the watch to 1924. That may be around the time that Rolex started putting their name on dials. Ron
    Great looking watch.

From English electroplate silver: marks and hallmarks of British silver plate: Wa-Wh

JAMES WALKER LTD
    London The firm was founded in c. 1902 by Sidney Sanders and William Metherell. From 1907 the firm operated as Sanders & Co and later acquired the name James Walker from a jewelers shop in Peckham (established in 1823). In the 1920s the company was dissolved forming two new companies, James Walker and Sanders & Co. In 1969 the two companies were amalgamated as James Walker, Jeweller. The James Walker group was sold off in 1984 to H. Samuel, becoming later part of the Ratners jewellery Company. The firm had its headquarters and workshop at Century House Streatham using the trade mark CENTURY PLATE

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Thread Information