Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By mougino
  • 3 Post By AbslomRob
  • 2 Post By pithy
  • 1 Post By HOROLOGIST007
  • 2 Post By FreddyNorton

Thread: Rolex "Trench" watch knowledge needed

Rolex "Trench" watch knowledge needed

I got this watch and I am wondering if anyone knows anything about it. I got it on ebay the ad was pretty bad and it was described as a ladies watch. I expected it to be one of those tiny ones. I got it today and its a little over 33mm without the crown counted. Now I am sure its a mens watch but the question is that is it real Rolex? I was planning on cleaning it up for my wife but now If its real I will probably put it back on ebay auction. Now to sell this watch should I clean it up at all or leave it as it is? The crystal was very yellowed and I put a new crystal on it and thats all ive done so far. Would restoring the hands be a good idea? They would look better but if I do that I would not put lume on them again. Any info is appreciated!

Re: Rolex "Trench" watch knowledge needed

Yeah, seems legit. "Empress A.W.C.Co" actually reads "Vintage Rolex worth $100.000"

Sent with Tapatalk

Ok maybe not $100.000 but still maybe interesting, see https://antiquerarities.wordpress.co...-pocket-watch/

Also worth a read: http://www.vintagewatchstraps.com/my...ge.php#America

Sent with Tapatalk
    Last edited by mougino; August 10th, 2017 at 21:15.
    FreddyNorton likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Define "Real Rolex". It looks like a rather beat up but otherwise genuine Rebberg movement manufactured by Aegler in the first or second decade of the 1900's, and sold through a Canadian retailer who choose to put it in a fairly generic American Watch Case CO. case. Yes, Aegler sold this type of movement to Wilsdorf and Davies, so it's entirely possible that it's legit. But since they also sold them to anyone else who showed up with money, it could also have been sold to someone else. The only thing that ties this to Rolex is the ratchet wheel, which is a really simple thing to swap if you're so inclined.

The significance of it as a "Rolex" is questionable even if it >is< legit; it represents a period in time when Rolex was just a brand name of an otherwise typical watch importer buying and selling Swiss watches for profit. Good for a story (which is true regardless of its authenticity). Have it cleaned and serviced, and use it to regale your friends with tales of a long ago age. Make sure you have a good cane handy that you can shake for emphasis when they start to look bored.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Could you post a few more shots of the dial and movement at the same angle and light?

Also, one (1) shot each of the back side of the dial and the other side of the movement?

Thanks!
    busmatt and FreddyNorton like this.
    Courtesy of ULF.

Im gonna have to wait until Saturday because thats my day off. I will do just as you say though! Thanks in advance for anything you might be able to tell about the watch.

Quote Originally Posted by pithy View Post
    Could you post a few more shots of the dial and movement at the same angle and light?

Also, one (1) shot each of the back side of the dial and the other side of the movement?

Thanks!

Here is the pictures you requested. My camera is not good at black dials. The dial appears to be porcelain.

Yes, you have a genuine 15jewell Rolex "REBBERG" movement

First, please take extra caution, the dial and hand look to have original (and flaky) RADIUM paint.

You must wash thoroughly your hands and tables after touching opening the watch, and I would recommend NO young children close to that dial or hands.

It will be highly radioactive, and if ingested (on your finger and touch finger to mouth) - not a good start to the week

Adam
    Molliedooker likes this.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Thank you very much for the information. Also yes I take extreme care with anything with radium. I always work over something I throw away when I am done and wash thoroughly after Im done working even my tools.
    HOROLOGIST007 and cptwalker like this.

Thread Information