Rolex tudor dial

Thread: Rolex tudor dial

Rolex tudor dial

I came across this watch on one of the other sales forum. I didnt think Rolex and Tudor name was on the same dial excpet maybe in the '40s. Is this a redail, franken, or something else ?

It suppose to be a cal 59
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dee & Ricky G-shock, Dornbluth 99.1 IWC Big Pilot, Selvin, JLC Memovox, Omega Speedy Pro, Vintage Seamaster,PAM 243 Rolex 1675, 16600, 16610, 16610LV, 114300, Slava Big Zero, Tudor Snowflake Vostok 2013 WUS Amphibia

Re: Rolex tudor dial

I suspect you're right - but like many in here, I don't know enough to be sure.

You might find more knowledgeable folks in the Rolex forum.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

The two names were never on the same dial. The Rolex forum (not WUS) has some members whose hobby it is to inform Ebay about these dials.

This watch is probably a re-dial. Probably a franken.

I have a franken 1965 Tudor (Ranger Case) that someone re-dialed and stuck the Rolex name on the dial along with "Tudor" probably to get more money out of it. It is a mighty fine watch that, unfortunately, has a fake dial on it. Except for the dial, my watch is a Tudor watch. Yes, Rolex made the case and crown, but a Rolex, it ain't. It has a nice, well running Prince-Tudor ETA movement inside. Regardless, I love the thing!

I paid about $275.00 for mine. Worth every cent.

No one in their right mind would add the word "Tudor" to a genuine Rolex so this is probably a Tudor re-dialed.

Note: Rolex Canada did have all kinds of weird brands along with the Rolex name on their watches in the 40s and 50s like Solar, Commander, Shipmate, etc. Tudor was not one of them.
    Last edited by thetokyokid; October 18th, 2010 at 17:21.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thetokyokid View Post
    Note: Rolex Canada did have all kinds of weird brands along with the Rolex name on their watches in the 40s and 50s like Solar, Commander, Shipmate, etc. Tudor was not one of them.
    How about Australia? Over here it was once not uncommon for Rolex to be sold with the jewellers shop name on the dial. I believe the watches were locally assembled from all-Swiss parts, so the dial was adapted at the point of assembly. Were there other countries where the local Rolex distributor had the right to alter the branding to suit the local market?
    Last edited by Chascomm; October 19th, 2010 at 09:27.
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

Chascomm:

I don't know for sure. That process was stopped in Canada as Rolex felt the watches coming out of Canada were not really worthy of the Rolex name. They had watches that were gold-filled, gold plated and some models in 14k gold. In other countries, Rolex did not allow this. Among collectors, the Canadian Rolexes are not taken very seriously. Still, I think they are good entry-level watches for beginning collectors.

At that time, I believe there were: Rolex Geneve, Rolex USA, Rolex Canada and Rolex Brazil. I have not heard anything about Rolex in Australia. I really hope someone will chime in. This is a really interesting question that you brought up.

If we don't get some answers here, I will take on the task to research it further. Perhaps we have to move this to the Rolex forum.
    Last edited by thetokyokid; October 19th, 2010 at 11:20.

Thread Information