• 1 Post By tinknocker
  • 1 Post By skywatch
  • 1 Post By Hijak
  • 1 Post By Hijak
  • 1 Post By tinknocker
  • 1 Post By Marrick

Thread: Royal Orient - 1958-1960 (~ish)

Royal Orient - 1958-1960 (~ish)

I received this beauty in the mail this week, and considering I was the only bidder, I guess most people don't know about Royal Orient, which was the "Grand Seiko" of Seiko's biggest competitor. Research showed me this was from the first release of Royal Orient hand-winders dating 1958 to around 1961 or so. I haven't opened it yet to check the movement serial number, which should tell me more. Some were adjusted in 5 positions, and there were "N" type movements and sometimes "R" type apparently.

My vintage collection has been growing a bit lately, with more Vympel 2209 ultra-thins and a beautiful GuB Spezimatic this year, but this one has a bit of extra joy, because it was one of those sleepers we occasionally risk from those eBay auctions with bad photography. I got lucky and I thought I might share:

Name:  RoyalOrientPno1.JPG
Views: 384
Size:  78.9 KB

Name:  RoyalOrientPno2.JPG
Views: 268
Size:  84.7 KB

Name:  RoyalOrientPnoWr1.JPG
Views: 292
Size:  123.5 KB

While researching I found a different seller post this page from the book "Japan Domestic Watch Volume 11"

Name:  Orient_Royal-1p.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  60.6 KB
    Hijak and Marrick like this.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

"Watches tie people to the celestial clockwork... but people have been encouraged by their clocks to ignore the daily and seasonal cycles and to pretend that there is nothing to contend with but metronome-paced linear time. We appear to have caged the sun inside a machine." Michael Young, The Metronomic Society, p. 204

Re: Royal Orient - 1958-1960 (~ish)

Looks in great shape. Very nice.
    skywatch likes this.
    Always give a word or a sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend, even a stranger, when in a lonely place. Show respect to all people and grovel to none.

Thanks, Tinknocker! I should mention I took it to my watchmaker today to ask if he thought it needed cleaning. He wound it a few times to get the tactile feel, then put it up to his ear and said "It sounds like it's running perfectly. Wait a year or two and bring it in if it starts acting differently." He decided he didn't need to open it, so I guess I'll have to do that myself. I love a repair person who tells you to wait... that's why I keep returning to this guy (and he does good work, that helps! )
    tinknocker likes this.

"Watches tie people to the celestial clockwork... but people have been encouraged by their clocks to ignore the daily and seasonal cycles and to pretend that there is nothing to contend with but metronome-paced linear time. We appear to have caged the sun inside a machine." Michael Young, The Metronomic Society, p. 204

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

That's a beauty Skywatch! nice find looks great on your wrist...
    skywatch likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hijak View Post
    That's a beauty Skywatch! nice find looks great on your wrist...

Thank you, Hijak. I should mention that the diameter of the watch is 35.75mm (without stem), and the thickness about 9mm. On my 7" circumference wrist it looks modern full-size, because the dial dominates the watch. If I were in 1958 I would think of this as a very large watch.

Quote Originally Posted by skywatch View Post
    Thank you, Hijak. I should mention that the diameter of the watch is 35.75mm (without stem), and the thickness about 9mm. On my 7" circumference wrist it looks modern full-size, because the dial dominates the watch. If I were in 1958 I would think of this as a very large watch.

I have an Omega Seamaster DeVille, from 1962, that is about 35mm where the dial dominates the watch (love this type of watch!)...yes these would be considered large for the time...my how times have changed!
    skywatch likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by skywatch View Post
    Thanks, Tinknocker! I should mention I took it to my watchmaker today to ask if he thought it needed cleaning. He wound it a few times to get the tactile feel, then put it up to his ear and said "It sounds like it's running perfectly. Wait a year or two and bring it in if it starts acting differently." He decided he didn't need to open it, so I guess I'll have to do that myself. I love a repair person who tells you to wait... that's why I keep returning to this guy (and he does good work, that helps! )
    I really need to find someone like that.
    skywatch likes this.
    Always give a word or a sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend, even a stranger, when in a lonely place. Show respect to all people and grovel to none.

Quote Originally Posted by tinknocker View Post
    I really need to find someone like that.

If you are in the SF Bay area I could hook you up. I confess I would probably be more discouraged by my fondness for vintage watches if not for Fred's Watch Repair in Sunnyvale California. (There, I said it... he deserves the props.)

A gorgeous watch. I confess to complete ignorance about the marque - so its nice to see the book extract.
    skywatch likes this.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Thread Information