A Sad Tudor

Thread: A Sad Tudor

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A Sad Tudor

After posting about a repair to a Enicar sherpa, I got the idea of repairing one of mine.
    This Tudor I bought around 1979-80 on the west coast at a pawn shop on Hastings street Vancouver
    . I was living in Nova Scotia in 1985 when I decided to get my watch cleaned and the crown replated [the gold was flaking off].

After about four weeks I got the watch back. They removed the crown, stripped all the gold off and sent it back with the watch in a little baggy. They installed a stainless one, :(
    I wore the watch for about a week and found that it would only run for about 8 hours, so I parked it.
    25 years later [ today] I brought it out of hiding and took some pics.

This is a little different than other ones on Ebay. Mine says 25 "rubis" instead of "jewels".
    The rotor bearings are hidden - cant see the little ball bearings.
    The balance wheel has little screws all around the perimeter.

ETA 2484 could not find it on DR Ranfft's site.

Last edited by epilamer; January 16th, 2011 at 00:29.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: A Sad Tudor

The movement looks reasonably similar to an ETA 2472 - balance hidden by automatic bridge, large bearing, etc. - so I suspect it's from the same calibre family. The reason why you can't see any ball bearings on the rotor is that they don't exist - the movement was made at a time when this feature was still exclusive to Eterna and the ordinary ETA movements were pin held. You can see the pin in the middle, the release is probably on the underside of the rotor (you have to dismantle the automatic winding bridge first to get at the release mechanism).

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...2uswk&ETA_2472

Hartmut Richter

Thank you for the reply. Any idea of its age?
    The Tudors with the ball bearing rotor is newer then.
    The balance having the little screws around the perimeter means this is a higher quality movement than the newer Tudors?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The bearings, or jewels were used to reduce friction and hence wear and tear. Not sure if any replacement or sources still available.

No need for replacement ball bearings on this movement - it never had any!

As for the screwed balance wheel, this was common in higher class watches up to the fifties but was largely discarded after that as being unnecessary. The screws are for temperature compensation but better alloys to make temperature insensitive balance wheels (glucydur) made such screws redundant. Nowadays, you find them on some very high class and/or nostalgic watches. Not sure whether that means that your watch is from as early as the fifties or whether it is already an aesthetic/nostalgic element - I suspect the latter.

Hartmut Richter

The pictures seem to show that the plating is still in place. Very worn but still there. I don't see what they stripped.

At any rate a good watch repair shop or Tudor (Rolex) should be able to restore the watch properly at a price.

I have one even weirder for you guys, I bought a Tudor prince oyster date case ref.7996, small rose at 12', square hands, that has a 2484 (25 rubies) like yours. Here are some pics, but I'm all confused because this model appears to be rare, I can't figure out the year because ref.7996 seems to have been running in 1973 but the dial and rare movement seems to predate that! Franken? Genuine? Need help here guys!!!!!!!!//
    Attached Images Attached Images

I am no Tudor expert but on the basis of the evidence, I would say Franken. The 2484 is Tudor's own designation for an ETA 2472 or derivative (earlier or later) but by 1973, the main ETA movements to be had were Cal. 2770 series movements that look similar to the modern ETA 2824:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: ETA 2770

Hartmut Richter

Hi favreleubafan,

Quote Originally Posted by favreleubafan View Post
    I can't figure out the year because ref.7996 seems to have been running in 1973 but the dial and rare movement seems to predate that! Franken? Genuine? Need help here guys!!!!!!!!//
    Because movement registers are discordant whether the Tudor 2484 is besed on the ETA 2452 or 2472 it is at least nice to see the dial view of yours. It proves the ETA 2452 as base:

This has a creeping date, visible from the simple date driver, while the ETA 2472 has a suddenly switching date:

I don't know the precise year of the transition from the 2452 to the 2472, but after the watches I've seen it must have been in the mid 60s. So the movement of your watch was likely not made later than ca. 1965.

Finally a remark about the rotor bearing of this family: A countersunk screw and a conical washer under the rotor form a diabolo which runs in an accordingly conical jewel or bronze bushing in the automatic bridge. What you see from the back side is the end of the countersunk screw, screwed into the rotor.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

Thanks, on the basis that it is a franken, I'll likely get rid of it though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information