Like Tree12Likes
  • 8 Post By Dan S
  • 1 Post By James A
  • 1 Post By ManOnTime
  • 1 Post By Dynamite Kid19
  • 1 Post By georges zaslavsky

Thread: Sandoz Typhoon

Sandoz Typhoon

I searched the F11 forum, and found only one hit for this watch - a short post from 2012 with a photo that has disappeared from the hosting site. So I decided to start a new thread about this new arrival. I have been slowly trying to build a small diver watch collection by focusing on models that are not so run-of-the-mill, and the Sandoz Typhoon fits this category for me.

As many of you know, there were a series of specialized dive watches produced in the 1960s by brands including Doxa, Jenny, Squale, Certina, Technos, Titus and others. It was an experimental time for dive watches, and there were interesting and innovative case designs with ratings to 500 or 1000 meters. Colorful dials were also common. The Sandoz Typhoon fits into this general category, and it seems to me that they don't show up as often as some of their competitors.

I have seen four different dial variants (orange, light gray, dark gray, and yellow) and a few subtle variations of the hands. Here is an ad that I found on the catawiki site (B&W unfortunately). It's the day-date version, so there are some small differences.

Name:  typhoon_ad.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  78.8 KB

I have rarely seen these watches on eBay, and then last week three of them showed up almost simultaneously. None were perfect, having issues either with dial damage or case over-polishing, but I decided on the one I liked the best and ultimately won the auction. The main condition issue involves damage to the lume plots (especially at 9 o'clock), and the watch is definitely well-used. The case is a little beat up, but still sharp, all the pieces are there, and it runs well. Inside is a workmanlike FHF 90-5 movement, which is automatic with quick-set date (bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: FHF 90-5).

It is hard to take good photos of the dial because of the "super-dome" crystal, which creates a lot of distortion and reflections. The condition of the crystal is quite good, which was another positive for me about this watch, since they are not easy to find. There is a screw on the case-back, which must be removed in order to remove the stem. For some reason, you will sometimes read that this screw is related to a helium-release valve, which seems to be incorrect. I really like the look of the stainless bezel (40mm diameter) and the interesting angled asymmetric case with integral crown guards (~42.3mm including the crown guards). It is currently on a modern "Tropic-style" rubber strap, but I may try it out on an orange strap. I also have a JB Champion BoR bracelet with 19mm straight end-links that could be an interesting option as well. Here are some photos:

Name:  sandoz1.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  259.5 KB
    Name:  sandoz2.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  215.6 KB
    Name:  sandoz3.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  232.9 KB
    Name:  sandoz4.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  207.1 KB
    Name:  sandoz5.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  131.1 KB
    Last edited by badbackdan; March 2nd, 2018 at 22:51.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Re: Sandoz Typhoon

Nice piece of dive watch history. The steel bezel makes makes it look very modern.

Regards,

What an interesting watch. That crystal is fantastic! Thanks for sharing.
    badbackdan likes this.
    Contact Info:
    Telegram: MoT
    Text: 6124245149
    WhatsApp: +16124245149
    'You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them.' - Ray Bradbury
    'Freedom is hammered out on the anvil of debate, discussion, and dissent.' - H.H.H.
    I love deals on watches!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Very cool and very patient, 2 things I ain't. Congrats on the find.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    badbackdan likes this.

congrats on a nice rare and solid diver, the fhf movement is way better than the eta 2472. As I said patience always pays off
    badbackdan likes this.
    Omega the sign of Excellence since 1848. Jaeger Le Coultre Horlogerie de Luxe depuis 1833
    22 times Olympic games timekeeper, Nasa watch supplier and holder of several world records of precision, Omega has the world's trust
    Omega and Rolex for ever
    Eterna Nothing but Watchmaking since 1856
    Zenith Swiss Watchmaking and Chronometry champion since 1865

Thread Information