WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Say 'Goodnight' to the Hallmark - Anyone 'Never' See This ?

968 views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  GhentWatch 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi - in my somewhat MANIC search for Eberhard vintage gold chronos I came across this case hallmark and was curious exactly how this came about ? Or how it 'left' ?

The first pic is of the hallmarks for the 1930s Eberhard gold chrono I picked up at a London Auction 2 weeks ago - Emre was kind enough to provide some commentary on the case manufacturer.

Now I have found an original black dial, Eberhard chrono that looks like the same era - as the second pic shows, the hallmarks are all similar - and in the same relative position on the inside gold case (not an easy feat as watch companies seem to change these hallmarks and their positioning a lot) with a serial number placing this Watch very close to the one I just acquired - this second watch in the hallmarks also has the 'C' for caret in contrast to a 'K' also as Emre pointed out.... but what's up with the Eberhard signature which seems to have been curiously obliterated ???????

Not sure what's up here ! Cheers, Scott

Sent from SDA's iPhone using Tapatalkk

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Thanks Cura - the original dial and movement are signed Eberhard and the serial number is close to mine, so I'm 99.44. % sure it was for an Eberhard - but if it was done on purpose for some reason I couldn't figure out what the logic was. Maybe the simplest answer is the right one in that it was damaged by accident, Scott

#6 · (Edited)
If it is damaged, what looks like white solder would show up through the back of the case, surely?
Baffled, not sure why such a rough looking bit of work has been undertaken.

Edit- someone went to the trouble of not covering the case serial number with solder, so maybe a person with watch knowledge, not just some metal repairman.

#7 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone - I actually hadn't looked closely at the outside case back - it does look like you can see some kind of repair or just the light reflection in the foto ? ....anyway I thought it was curious so maybe just damage that was fixed...

Reactions: bobbee
#12 ·
One thing to add, on the pics provided initially on EB, this case repair work was very hard to see - I asked for and received the better hallmark pic above ....Scott

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.