Schwob and Freres golden pocket watch- additional information.

Thread: Schwob and Freres golden pocket watch- additional information.

Schwob and Freres golden pocket watch- additional information.

Welcome,

After my fathers death, my mother inherited a a golden watch. She also requested me to help her sell it, but i must assure, that this is not a sell offer!

I went to several watch experts in Cracow, Poland, but I could not acquire a fair estimation of its value. I was hoping, that here i could at least get an assuption fo its value, so my mom would not be robbed. Or perhaps someone could direct me to where I could get a realistic advise.

Here is the link for picassa album of the watch. https://picasaweb.google.com/1047925...wobFreresWatch
    Thank you kindly for your help.

Re: Schwob and Freres golden pocket watch- additional information.

Uh... i forgot. Watch weights around 147 g - with the mechanizm, made of 18k gold. I read the "value estimation" post, but still i hope to get some anwsers here. has not been recently serviced, it is in working order.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Welcome to the Vintage forum. You certainly have a rather special pocket watch there in exellent condition (apart from the fact that it needs a service). At the same time, you may well be disappointed at how little these things are worth. Yours is a chronometre and is gold so that raises its value but apart from that, it is only worth as much as watches of that general type go for. If it was a Patek Philippe or a Vacheron Constantin, you would get extra marks (and $$$) for the name, but this one..... Have a look in eBay or similar at how much these things go for. If you look at the next dozen you can find, you will get a price range into which yours will fall. The rest is down to an honest appraisal of the state your own watch is in compared to the watches sold on eBay /and the prices they went for).

Schwob Freres in La Chaux de Fonds was AFAIK linked to Cyma who were located in Tavannes. The watch is from ca. 1900.

Hartmut Richter

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thank you for your anwser. I am not assuming anything, and unfortunately- there no auctions at the moment, so I cannot follow your instructions, although i shall keep my eyes open. I shall look for simmilar watches as you suggest- I assume I should look for golden pocket watches from 1900, right?

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Well, don't go looking for an auction with another Schwob Freres watch - they will be scarce! Look for a gold pocket watch of that era in good but unserviced condition with a chronometer movement that wasn't made by one of the big PW names of that time (Zenith, Omega, IWC, Longines, LeCoultre.....) and that's the one you want to compare yours to. Good luck!

Hartmut Richter

Thread Information