Scrap?

Thread: Scrap?

Scrap?

Why do people buy gold plated scrap?
    Just wondering what you do with it.

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

Re: Scrap?

Gold plated items aren't generally scrapped.

Gold filled, however, is scrapped quite often. The modern legal definition of gold filled requires that if the bonded gold layer is 12K or higher, the gold alloy must account for 1/20 of the total weight of the piece. For 10K gold filled the 10K must amount to 1/10 of the total weight of the item.

Old, high quality watch cases often had much more gold than this when new, although wear will obviously reduce the weight.

Gold filled items can be dissolved in nitric acid, which will(mostly) leave the gold intact but dissolve the underlying base metal. The left-over gold can either then be sold as-is or can be further purified depending on how adventurous one wishes to get.

The scrap dealer to whom I sometimes sell will pay about $20/toz for gold filled scrap, with this number changing(slightly) with swings in gold prices.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

I see I see. I knew they had to have some process to extract it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Re: Scrap?

aqua regia recovery and the reclaimers are very much interested in 80 micron p
    Courtesy of ULF.

Thread Information