• 1 Post By doralamer
  • 1 Post By Habitant
  • 1 Post By mkws
  • 1 Post By laikrodukas

Thread: Seamaster 752

Seamaster 752

Seamaster 166 032 here.

Omega Seamaster Day Date Steel Automatic Mens Watch Cal 752 | eBay

Movement, dial, caseback all very legit.

However, not sure if the model has got such a champagne dial + ss combo. I have a full 14k gold cap version so looking at this now..

Best,
    HK
    bobbee likes this.

Re: Seamaster 752

I don't think it can really be found out whether the dial is correct or not.
    The Omega database lists both the 166.032 and the 168.023, but only with a BA in front of each of them, which means solid gold variants. The ref. no. without letters indicates the case style, varying two-letter codes indicated the material. This is an ST variant, and so- stainless steel. I would say, that this must be the ST 166.032, because the 168.023 had a chronometer certified calibre 751, which this one obviously has not. Says on the caseback that it's an ST as well.
    Trouble is, that in the database there is no photo for ref.166.032, and even if there was anything, the dial specs and the photo would only be for the listed BA(solid gold) variant, which I wouldn't expect to exist in exactly the same dial versions.
    These missing entries in the Omega database really start to be annoying.
    There is also another thing- the condition of hands doesn't exactly get along with the condition of the dial and markers, does it? Might be the angle at which the pictures were taken, but...
    And I think the rotor has the wrong plating.

These vintage Omegas are gonna get me into some "frankens everywhere" paranoia. I think I'll have to walk away from commenting on Omegas for a while.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

A minefield. The seller never says that the dial is original, only that the watch is authentic. To me, that's a way of skirting the issue, as is the fact that there's no zoom on the pictures. My own sense of it is that the dial is likely to have been re-done; just an instinct, nothing more. If so, it's a good quality one, for sure - but good ones do exist, so…

The rotor does look a different colour, but I'm not sure if this is the photography, or reality.

As mkws says, there's really nothing to suggest that this is 100% original by using the OVD. Or not. I don't think that the colour combination looks particularly wrong, and I'm always amazed at how many variations there are/were. In this sense, the OVD is a mixed blessing, convincing and confusing in equal parts.
    mkws likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

As to this one being a redial, some redials have distinct features identifying them as such, but this one doesn't have these. Maybe there are some that I have overlooked. The inconsistent wear of hands and dial/markers are that one thing that tells me immediately that it might be a redial. Not much more. For me, a watch like this one is a "better walk away".
    If it is a redial, it's one of the "not bad, not bad!" sort.
    I will have to leave this without a conclusion. Except for that rotor, which looks to be wrong, but not necessarily is, and the odd things about the dial and hands, there aren't that many factors which would make me think that this is a frankenwatch. Then again, besides my search for the watch in the OVD there is no obvious proof of it being original.
    I don't enjoy leaving a watch authentication without conclusions, and even more I hate to deliver the bad news- redial, fake, franken... It happens sometimes, and the first thing of these two happened just now.
    Habitant likes this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

With all the doubts raised here, combined with the seller's feedback; lots of negs and neutrals, I think I'd walk on this one.

As often said on this forum, you're buying the seller.....
    " I like Chiken farming and old clock " --- Anon

Looks correct to me, a real surprise fro philipines :)
    bobbee likes this.
    Chaos is my focus

Thread Information