is this seamaster a franken??

Thread: is this seamaster a franken??

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Confused is this seamaster a franken??

Hi there,I'm fairly new to vintage Omega watches,I'm on my third now,just bought it on ebay,and I'm wondering what your thoughts are on it,the dealer stated it was from 1970,when the omega website dates the movement from '66. I thought the dial looked a bit odd,do you think it has been redialed etc?? or is it franken? or even fake? Your thoughts would be much appreciated. Personally i think the crown is wrong for the watch - its much too small - I can hardly wind it! Next time I think I'll pay the full £500 whatever and go to a reputable shop.
    Vintage Omega Seamaster Steel Automatic Wristwatch on eBay (end time 05-May-11 11:53:38 BST)

Re: is this seamaster a franken??

The outside of it looks good (hands, dial, case , crown all correct) no movement shot so ? Hard to say solid yes and hard to anything beyond take a chance, looks ok.
    I owned one just like it 5 years ago, it looks the same as mine did.

I agree with Fantasyvoyager! Its hard to say until you get the watch in hand and see the movement.

That said... I have not seen a crosshair dial where the crosshair is red! That does not look right to me... I think it should be black... could be wrong??
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

what the others have said, i would want a receipt for the service whats just been done.

I've taken back off,the movement is marked 552,and has number which dates it to '66,don't know why the seller stated it was circa '70. I dunno,its not a bad looking watch,its just the batons - shouldn't they be in line with the second markers?? I mean starting from the same point?? I'll take a pic of movement and post it,thanks.

My guess with respect to why he miss represented / misjudged the date, would be that he was judging the age of the watch by the hands, the wider chapter numbers and the hands must have thrown him off, the hands are not squared at the ends , they tended to be more in the 70s models, this one is clearly mid to late 60's. No biggy still a fine watch. Is the cross hair RED as was indicated earlier in the post? Just did not notice this .... if it is then its a first for me.

Looking at the dial again.... I am still not sure on the crosshair... plus the batons are a bit different to a 552 seamaster I once owned (which does not mean its wrong!)

The case back matches.. so I would say the movement case combo is fine.. just a question mark over the dial!

A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

the 552 is a great movement, just found another with red crosshair just like yours and dial bidfun-db Archive: Wrist Watches: 728: Gents Omega Seamaster Automatic, 1967&

"Circa" means around or about. Circa 1970 would be reasonably around or about 1966. In fact, a watch might sit on a dealer's shelf that long - although the dealer would hope it wouldn't!

On the other hand . . . I can wear another watch!

Quote Originally Posted by joeuk View Post
    the 552 is a great movement, just found another with red crosshair just like yours and dial bidfun-db Archive: Wrist Watches: 728: Gents Omega Seamaster Automatic, 1967&
    Good find Joe...

I had not seen one before (which does not mean much)... thats my only concern quashed.... I would be happy with that watch for the price... Congrats!!

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information