Seeking advice on Wittnauer 2002
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Seeking advice on Wittnauer 2002

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I have a pretty cool Wittnauer 2002 calendar watch (I think it's a rebranded Orient) but it runs really fast, near 5 minutes for every 30. Any thoughts on whether servicing would be worthwhile? The calendar runs out this year, which makes that part of the function nice and ironic. But I haven't had it opened since I acquired it. Thanks!

Thought I would post a pic for reference.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Seeking advice on Wittnauer 2002

Sounds like a problem with the hairspring. It can be magnetized (fixed in seconds with a good de-magnetizer, might take a little longer with a not so good de-magnetizer, if you know what you are doing). Shouldn't be an issue with such a new watch, but you never know. The other possibilty is, that the hairspring is sticking together, either oil or dirt causing this. In both cases, the balance swings much faster, resulting in such a dramatic gain. That's my 2 cents. The experts here might name other causes.

If you have bought the watch this way, some funny guy could have fixed a broken hairspring by re-attaching the short rest of it, which makes the watch run a lot faster. It's then sold in the bay as 'winds well, starts running immediately, accuracy not tested'.
    Last edited by Border-Reiver; November 26th, 2015 at 20:25.
    bsshog40 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Yep, servicing would be a good idea.

Thanks. Not really newish, I think the 2002 was produced in the 70s, not sure exactly when. I hadn't thought of the magnetic thing. Thanks again.

Ok, quick update. I took the watch by one local guy, he gave me a quote of $275 for a strip down, ultrasonic clean, then an oil. Does this seem reasonable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alright. I decided the price was crazy and that I would open it up and try things out myself. Here is what I saw when I opened it up.

Seems perfectly clean to me. It may need oiling and a few gaskets or something but it looks fine. I am going to regulate it to get the time back on track and find some quality oil to practice a little watchmaking. Wish me luck.

STOP . Unless of course you know how to strip a watch in which case forget the rest.
    Despit being told by those on this forum I had same attitude couple of years ago and decided my chrono ,worth about $2000 , could be fixed with a bit of a clean and oil. It's still in pieces in 30 little containers in India but that's another story.
    To clean and oil you need to strip it down . The regulator will not adjust 10 mins per hour as far as I know but it's worth a try but do nothing else . Why not get it demagnetised and see how it is .

Quote Originally Posted by Molliedooker View Post
    STOP . Unless of course you know how to strip a watch in which case forget the rest.
    Despit being told by those on this forum I had same attitude couple of years ago and decided my chrono ,worth about $2000 , could be fixed with a bit of a clean and oil. It's still in pieces in 30 little containers in India but that's another story.
    To clean and oil you need to strip it down . The regulator will not adjust 10 mins per hour as far as I know but it's worth a try but do nothing else . Why not get it demagnetised and see how it is .
    Wow, good warning.

The regulator seems to have me within 1 min and hour right now, I think I can get it closer.

Though I don't know how to strip a watch yet, this is a $60 find on the Bay. I am not going to be in tears if it goes awry. Have to learn on something right?i

Quote Originally Posted by Border-Reiver View Post
    The other possibilty is, that the hairspring is sticking together, either oil or dirt causing this
    I've owned a few vintage watches that ran around 10 mins per hour fast, in all cases it was down to an oily hairspring, apparently it can get contaminated from oil inside the watch. An inexpensive fix carried out by my local watchmaker, I suggest having a full service done though if you intend to wear the watch regularly, although $275 you have been quoted is expensive.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information